not so shy

pairing ; kageyama x hinata

summary ; the progression of hinata and kageyama's relationship through their three years of high school ( and how they scar the newbies on a daily basis )

warning ; mentions of sex

+

They used to be so shy.

Well, sort of. When Hinata Shouyou and Kageyama Tobio first met in their last year of junior high, and they definitely were not bashful of their feelings back then. Because it was hate. The shorter red head despised the King of the Court and his team, especially because they absolutely wrecked them at his first real official volleyball match. He vowed to beat him at his own game in high school, and he worked hard over the summer to achieve his goal.

Unfortunately, the Universe had other ideas for the duo. When they reunited at Karasuno on the same side of the net, they didn't pair off so well. Their former team mates fondly remember their constant bickering and fighting over absolutely nothing. Eventually, (thank goodness) they got over it. Once the two realized how incredibly well they worked together, they became more or less friends. Partners.

Playing volleyball together during practice transgressed into playing volleyball together during their lunch period, which turned to plain old hanging out during their break and out of school. They soon gave up the facade of not enjoying the others company, and from then on they were practically attached at the hip with the amount of time they spent together.

It was around half way through the year when Tobio realized something terrifying. He's had his frightening moments before- learning his father had 'gone somewhere better' from his sobbing mother when he was a child was a memory that stood out, along with the horrible, empty feeling of abandonment from his team mates in junior high. Each held their own against Kageyama's list of fears, but this was a new kind of fright. Realizing that he was utterly, hopelessly in love with his best friend.

Those few weeks of avoiding Hinata to help keep his feelings at bay was a bad time for everybody involved. The setter stopped waiting for the red head to walk together after practice, didn't speak to Hinata unless he had to, and blatantly ignored his friend. The Kageyama that had began to warm and open to his team mates was gone; and he went back to closing in on himself. Everybody on the team noticed how the freak duo started to drift further and further apart, The small smiles Kageyama reserved for Hinata turned into cold stares and the natural gleam in the spiker's eyes began to dull. It was rough on the both of them.

The upperclassmen had eventually had enough of it, and even Daichi agreed that something needed to be done, for the sake of the team and the duo.

In retrospect, locking the two underclassmen in the club room until they worked things out might not have been the best idea, but Nishinoya was certain it would work and frankly, they didn't have any other ideas.

"I wonder if those two made up with each other yet." Suga remembers saying, key to the room in one hand, Daichi walking besides him. It had been a good two hours since they left them there, and about an hour after their yelling had stopped. Suga had hoped that was a good sign.

"They'd better have." Daichi said worriedly, taking the key from his co-caption and unlocking the club room.

Their fears of the two still at odds went unfounded, because when they opened the door they saw the first years curled up together in one corner, Kageyama's head resting in the crook of Hinata's neck, soothingly stroking his mess of hair as the red head sat in his lap, face buried in the taller's chest, occasional sniffling and hiccuping leaving his throat from the aftermath of crying and yelling.