14

Shaun sits down between me and Melody, and is greeted by her friendly smile and four confused faces. "So, Shaun needed a place to sit and I offered this extra seat beside us," I give them a warning look. "It was really nice of him to stick up for melody, wasn't it?"

"Mmhm."

"Yep."

"Sure was!"

"Oh yes."

"Well, uh, thanks Aria," Shaun says awkwardly.

"No probl—" My reply is cut off by the speaker.

"Chosen! Welcome! Are you proud of yourselves? I'm proud of you!" He exclaims with an obnoxious laugh. The crowd cheers, so I clap too. "I know that you all probably want to relax, but I wanted to let you know something epic! Tomorrow marks the start date of Stage One! How exciting!"

I cringe inwardly at his enthusiasm.

"Chosen... are you ready for Stage One?" He lowers his voice, as if he was letting on some big secret.

This time I cheer for real. I am ready for Stage One, and I'm going to beat it. Nothing is going to get in the way of me completing this competition. Elimination is not an option anymore.

The speaker tells us a few more things like what time we need to be up by and what we should wear for our first day, then dismisses us.

On the walk down the hall back to my room, Nate runs up to me.

"So what's the deal with him?" He nods back at Shaun, who is several feet behind us.

"The deal with him? What do you mean?" I ask.

"He's never even spoken to us the whole time we've been here, and all the sudden he's like what? Your new best friend? Plus, look at his sister. People who are related are similar you know!"

"Woah, Nate, what're you talking about? I just asked him if he wanted to sit with us. It was the nice thing to do, and I wanted to thank him."

"He didn't do much to deserve a thank you." Nate rolls his eyes.

"What? He was being nice to Melody after she started to cry."

"Siblings fight all the time, it's not that big of a deal, Aria."

"Yeah, but—"

We arrive at a crossroads in the halls. "We're here, gotta go, bye," He stalks off into the long white hallway leading to where his room is.

"What is up with you today?" I mumble. I stand there for a while to see if he's going to come back and apologize before rolling my eyes and leaving. I try not to look too annoyed as I catch up to Carrie.

"What's up?" She asks.

"Nothing."

"You look pissed off." She tilts her head. "Why?"

"I'm tired." I keep walking at a brisk pace.

"Alrighty..."

"Carrie. I'm just in need of sleep. It's been an insane two weeks. Feels like two years."

"Well." She laughs. "I agree with you on that."

"Uh huh, and we can't be tired tomorrow. Gotta bring our A game."

She nods and doesn't say anything after that.

* * * * *

My alarm blasts it's annoying chime. I scream into my pillow, then proceed to throw it at my phone. It doesn't do anything.

"Turn it off or so help me..." Carrie growls.

I roll out of bed —literally— and turn off the alarm set on my phone. It seems to be the only thing my phone is actually good for anymore, considering I can only message people within Glaxe, and can't even access the internet. I've tried multiple times to contact my family, to no avail.

"You gonna get up?" I ask Carrie.

"Not yet."

"Okay." I change my clothes from pyjamas to black leggings and a black tank top with a bright blue neckline.

"Bye bye, sleepy head." I whisper to Carrie as I walk out of the room.

* * * * *

The line for breakfast is longer than it usually is at this time. I guess more people wanted to get an early start today, since we're beginning Stage One.

I take a bite of my apple while I wait in the second line, the one for drinks.

"Hey."

I look over to see Nate standing beside me with his tray in hand.

"Hey..." I nod, taking my drink from the woman serving.

He takes his next, thanking her.

"So are you mad at me, or what?" I sigh as we walk towards a table.

"No, no I'm not."

"You sure?" I raise an eyebrow and sit down. "Because you've been acting weird."

"No, it's fine. I'm not mad at you."

"Okay," I look down at my wrist and with my other hand, trace the blue line with my index finger.

"Okay."

We sit in silence for a while, tentatively taking bites of our breakfasts.

"We haven't talked much in the last few days, have we?" Nate asks.

I nod.

"We should. Maybe a movie again. That was nice."

"That would be good," I let out a sigh of relief.

"I've missed you, Aria."

I blush, shake my head, and laugh. "It's only been a few days since we hung out."

"Yes, several twenty-four hour periods of disappointment." He says solemnly.

I choke on my drink. "Geez. Dramatic much."

"It's the truth," he laughs. "I swear."

"Swearing is a disgusting habit." I tease.

"You know what I meant." Another smirk.

"Goodness that line was long!" Jen plops down beside me, setting her tray on the table with a loud thud.

"Well good morning," Nate greets her.

"Yeah, I know, right?" I answer her statement. "I'm glad I always come earlier."

"Smart." She bites into her pancakes.

"Healthy breakfast." I comment.

"Ah, I know. I'll be a health and fitness guru by the end of the week." She takes yet another bite of her syrup drenched pancakes.

I suddenly feel very jealous of her choice, wishing I had gotten that instead of my omlette.

Everyone else arrives soon after, surprisingly including Shaun.

"Do you guys mind if I...?" He awkwardly shifts from one leg to another.

"Not at all! Take a seat!" Jason right away pats the spot beside him.

"Thank you very much."

"Not a problem."

Nate watches him for a while, but eventually loosens up and starts joining in on the conversation he's having with Jason. I look around at the bustling cafeteria, and the table where all my smiling, laughing friends sit, and I smile too. This place, scary and twisted though it may be, is home to me now. What an odd thought.

* * * * * * * * *

Oh my god I'm tired. Anyways, I hope you like this little chapter and are excited for the next one, where the Chosen will be starting Stage One!

Vote and comment?

~A