Chapter 8**

"Hey Ann!" Jess says to me cheerfully. I must be dreaming; Jess is dead. 

"Are you okay?" She asks. I realize I am just staring at her and not saying anything. 

Before I could speak, Sam walks through the door. 

"Hey Ann." Sam says to me. I walk over to him quickly and lean in and whisper, "Sam, do you see her too?" I ask scared and confused.

He looks down at me and then up towards where Jessica is standing. She leans against the wall and looks concerned. 

"I know, it's crazy how beautiful she is, even when she is not trying." Sam says and brushes past me. He sets a bag of food down on the table and goes to kiss Jess on her forehead. 

"What the heck is going on here?" I ask.

"Ann, what are you talking about?" Sam asks.

"This is not real! It can't be...Jess, you are..you died."

She looks at me with a mixture of hurt and confused.

"Mary-Ann, do not say stuff like that. What is going on?" Sam throws his words at me. 

I look down at the ground, unsure of what to say. Once I looked Sam was gone but Jess was still leaning against the wall. 

"Where did Sam go?" I ask her. 

"Sam ran to the store, remember?" She says to me plainly, seemingly unfazed that he is now not here.

"No, Sam was here just a second ago!" I raise my voice, wanting to know what is going on. 

"Ann," Jess says to me as she walks towards me, "I need you to listen to me. Sam is in trouble, I need you to save him. " She tucks a piece of my hair behind my hair as she talks. 

I look up at her. She looks the same. Her beautiful hair laying across her shoulders perfectly. She seems so calm and at peace. 

"What do you mean? I don't understand." 

I look at her and I realize her face is starting to drop like wax off of a candle. "Save him," she says disoriented. Her voice cracks as she continues to tell me to save Sam. I watch as her whole body melts away and falls like a thick liquid to the floor. I fall to my knees and look at the puddle of what was just Jessica. 

What the hell is going on?