O1

On the first of many mornings that would bare beautiful weather, I sat up and rubbed at the corners of my eyes, flicking the sleep away.

Have you ever began a day with the feeling that good things were slowly encroaching upon your life? Well, that is the exact way that I had woken up, stomach stirring in a pleasant way, ears slightly tingling if I really paid attention. This was going to be my summer; I knew it.

Summer was a nice time of year —in its own respect— I had always associated the Summer time with great things. The warmth, the beach, the travel, the mates, the revenue. I was out of school for a good three months as well. Where was the foul in that?

I had—with the assistance of my best mate Shawn managed a job at the local Rita's™ just down the road from our school for the second year in a row. It was his aunt Lucille who owned the local franchise and therefore, scoring me a job was quite possibly the easiest thing that he had ever done.

It helped also, that Lucille had taken a liking to me as well. She always pinched my cheeks and kissed my forehead with her plum coloured lippy, leaving a mark that I, for one was never ashamed of.

I had noticed just how sexist the hiring manager had been as well, only hiring teenage girls in the back end of their high school years and refusing any male applicants. As it stood, Shawn and I were the only ones with wangers on staff.

Completed: 27/12/16
Published: 3/7/17