14

Philips mom had a lot of boyfriends while he was growing up, but none that stuck around long enough for him to really bond with, that was why an ordinary trip to the store with Gabe was so important to him. He wanted to feel like he had a place in the family and wasn't just the odd one out. Philip had his hands shoved in his pockets as he watched Gabe place things in the cart, usual things that a family would need, bread, eggs, frozen vegetables. Philip never went shopping like that, with his mom, they lived off of whatever they could get since most of the money was spent on her drugs.

Philip simply absentmindedly followed Gabe around as he picked up the things they needed. Something in him told him to look up, so he did just that, only to instantly regret it. He saw someone who he hadn't seen face to face in so long, and that man was staring straight at him. "Gabe, can we go?" He looked over at the man who was deciding on what cookies to buy. "Why the rush? Got plans?" Gabe looked back at Philip as he put the cookies into the cart. Philip felt exposed, terrified that this man was even in the same building as him, and when he looked back to see the man walking over, time seemed to stop.

He walked up and placed his hand on Philips shoulder. Philip wanted him gone, he wanted the touch off his shoulder, it made him feel disgusting. "Hey, Philip. It's been awhile." He said with a smirk, he knew what he was doing, he knew how just his voice sent Philip into his flashbacks, how he intimidated the boy without much effort of his own. And he loved the control he had, the way he could make Philip tremble in fear just by being close to him. Philip didn't want to talk, he gave a simple "Yeah." and looked to Gabe with pleading eyes that he didn't seem to notice. "You must be Gabe." The man extended his hand and Gabe shook it, looking between him and Philip with confusion. "Yeah, how'd you know that? Are you one of his old teachers?" The man gave a laugh and shook his head. "No, I'm Thomas. I dated Philip's mother for a few years, had some good times with this kid." Gabe nodded and the two make small talk while Philip stood there and waited for it to end.

"Gabe, we should go, Helen will be home soon." Gabe seemed to take the hint that there was some sort of tension between them and he nodded, bidding a goodbye to Philips former step-father and they went to pay for the groceries. The whole time they were in line Philip, who was definitely not very big on religion, said a silent prayer that he wouldn't walk up behind them, that they could just leave and never see him again.

When Gabe finished packing the groceries into the back of his truck, they got in the car and he looked over and Philip. "What was that all about?" Philip took a deep breath and swallowed down his nerves, trying to keep his cool and stop himself from completely losing it at the fact that this man was back and could easily hurt him and no one would have any reason to think that he did it. Philip took another deep breath and turned to Gabe. He was ready for it to end. "That man raped me."

That was when secrets weren't worth it anymore.