15

Philip woke up that day, ready to go to school and see his gorgeous boyfriend and kiss him again for the first time in almost a week. He was worried about Lukas, not a single call or text since he had asked Philip to be his boyfriend. That was unlike him, Lukas texted him all the time, everyday. He slugged his way out of bed and went to his closet. He pulled out a pair of jeans and a plain blue shirt, something he would wear on a typical day. He put his sweater on and grabbed his school bag. Once he was completely ready for school, he walked out into the kitchen and was hit with the scent of fresh, homemade pancakes. "Hey guys." He smiled brightly at his foster parents and sat down at the table. "Morning Philip." Helen greeted him and took a sip from her coffee mug. She was still in pajamas so he assumed she had the day off or something. Gabe was just finishing up the pancakes and placing them on plates. He brought two plates over and placed one in front of Helen, the other in front of Philip. "Thanks." Philip said awkwardly and reached for the syrup. Once they had all sat down, Helen glanced at Gabe and winked.

"So, we wanted to talk to you about something Philip." He heart dropped when Helen said that. He knew what this was about and he didn't want anything to do with it. "Look, guys if this is about what happened yesterday I don't want to talk about it." Helen gave Philip a look. "That isn't what this is about, I think you might want to listen to this one." She reached into her bag and pulled out a stack of papers. "I know that you had a rough time back in the city and Gabe and I don't want you to go back to living like that once your mom is out of rehab. Now we talked to her and she thinks this is a good idea because she wants you to have a better life as well. Philip, we'd like to adopt you." She placed the papers in front of him. He was shocked, he didn't even know what to say. "All you need to do is sign at the bottom of the paper and we'll be your parents. Your mom will have visitation rights once she's out of rehab." A bright smile spread across Philips face. "Does anyone have a pen?" He asked, tears of joy filling his eyes he looked up at them. They glanced at each other with smiles on their faces. They were finally gonna have a family.

Philip had signed the papers already when he looked over to Helen and Gabe, who were leaning against each other and smiling at their son. "Thank you guys, you're honestly the best thing that has ever happened to me. I love you guys." Helen leaned forward and grabbed his hand. "Philip, if you're ready, I can get your case reopened and get you a court date. If it takes everything out of me, I will bring this guy down."

That was when things started to get better.