16.

For the rest of the day, Landon and I stuck together since we were both struggling to skate.

I placed one foot in front of the other, gliding slowly, balancing on each leg with my arms stretched out. My fingers were numb. I rubbed my hands together and brought them to my lips, breathing against them in a poor attempt at keeping them warm. Then I lost my balance and tripped, scraping my knees against the ground and bringing my arms forward to catch myself. I pressed my hands to the ice, the bone-chilling feeling numbing my fingers once more.

Landon extended a hand. I took it, feeling its warmth, pushing myself up and dusting myself off.

"You're cold."

"I know."

"Kind of like your soul."

"Oh, please."

I rolled my eyes. He didn't let go of my hand. Instead, he offered me a smile and pulled me along with him, and we kept on skating like that until he stopped and let go of my hand, and I was cold again. His expression slackened.

"What's wrong?"

He didn't answer me. I looked where he was looking, only to notice Julien. He was talking to a girl who was quite pretty and looked about Natalie's age, but Natalie wasn't there, and neither was Connor.

"Who's she?" I asked.

There was a long pause. Landon wore a bitter expression.

"Can you keep a secret?" he said.

"Well, yeah."

"Actually, nevermind."

"Landon, just tell me."

"No."

"Come on. My lips are sealed."

"Whatever, it's not important."

"What do you mean? Just tell me."

"You're leaving soon anyway."

"You're weirding me out."

"That girl's name is Leah."

"...Okay?"

"She's Julien's girlfriend."

"Wait, what?"

"You heard me."

"That's not funny."

"I'm not kidding."

"Landon! Are you serious?"

"Yes."

"Natalie's gonna be pissed!"

"No, she's not, because she's not going to find out."

"Landon! That's cheating!"

"You promised not to tell!"

"I never promised anything!"

"Don't. Tell. Anyone."

"Landon, seriously--"

"He'll kill me. No joke."

"You can't just--"

"Aurora, are you listening to me?" He stared me directly in the eye. "Don't tell anyone."

I sighed, feeling a little guilty and nodding. When I glanced back at the two, Julien was kissing Leah, and I realized that Landon had been right all along.