18.

I lied to Landon when I promised him I wouldn't tell anyone.

First, I told Natalie. She didn't believe me for a while. She called me delusional, crazy, a liar, but when everything started to piece together, she started to cry. That was when I knew she finally understood.

I told Connor next, not because I wanted to. I would have preferred it if he hadn't known about the situation. It could have stopped him from wanting to get involved and following me and Natalie into the house that day. It could have stopped him from seeing what I saw - something horrifying.

He walked in when I was telling Natalie about Leah, and being the ever so curious person he was, he demanded to know what was going on. I spilled it out.

A couple minutes after I did, my cellphone started to ring. It was Landon and Julien's number from their home phone. Natalie didn't hesitate to pick it up, visibly emotional and angry. Soon, though, her expression softened and she seemed almost afraid. She didn't tell me what was said on the other line. She just got up and ran out of the house without really telling me where she was going.

I stayed behind with Connor since Aunt Diane had gone out to get groceries, and I didn't want to leave him in the house alone. Natalie wasn't gone for very long before the doorbell started ringing frantically.

When I made my way to the front entrance, the doorknob was being twisted and pushed against as if someone was trying to break in, with a familiar voice yelling, "Open the door! Open the door!"

I unlocked it and yanked it open, only to reveal Natalie. She was shaking uncontrollably, her eyes wide with fear, her body trembling in the cold air. She wasn't wearing a hat or a coat or any gloves nor boots. Her feet were enveloped in sticky snow, with only socks to keep them warm.

"Natalie? What's happening?"

She was panting and shaking her head. "Come on!"

"What happened?"

"He has a gun!"

She didn't answer me - didn't let me put on my hat or coat or gloves nor boots - she just grabbed my hand and started to drag me.

My feet hit the freezing ground, my skin melting snow, the bone-chilling snowflakes biting me.

Connor shouted from a distance, "Wait up!"

I looked over my shoulder to see him struggling to put on his boots. Natalie kept pulling me along with her before we made it to Julien and Landon's house.

Inside of their home it was warm. I only had time to slip off one wet sock before Natalie dragged me through the house, towards a bedroom. I could have sworn I heard the sound of screaming - could have sworn I heard the sound of cursing and crying, mixed with Nala and Tucker's barks. I didn't know what was happening, but I knew that whatever it was, it was bad. Then I heard a loud, ear-splitting noise go off, echoing through the home. I was in such shock, I could barely make out what it was. Then I remembered Natalie saying something about a gun, and my blood froze.

What I saw next made me sick.

AuroraOn viuen les histories. Descobreix ara