25

Lauren and Mike walked forward as they heard more screams and gunshots. Lauren gave Mike a worried look. He gave her an assuring smile.

They walked into the forest with their guns in hand. Eventually, they make out a figure running toward them. "MAKE WAY!!" The voice screamed which startled the couple. It looked like a young man. They were right as the man came face to face with them. "Then saviors are here!" The man said. "Shelter?!" He yelled even though he was close to the couple. Mike nodded. Lauren looked behind the man to see another man carrying a young woman whom seemed to be limp in his arms. Two other figures seemed to be running behind them. Lauren tapped Mike's shoulder and pointed to them. Mike gasped and led the first man to the shelter as Lauren stayed behind. "Walker!!" Lauren shouted and pointed behind the people in the back. It was too late as the walker grabbed the figure, which looked like a woman, and took a bite right out of her neck and then arm. Lauren ran up as more walkers surrounded the women. She heard muffled screams. Lauren looked to her left and saw a young girl around the age of 13 crying as she walked closer to the walkers. "Khris..." The girl sobbed and reached her hand out and almost touched one of the walkers. Lauren grabbed he girl by her shoulders. The young girl jumped and turned around. Lauren shot her an apologetic smile. "What's your name?" Lauren asked the young girl who was still crying. "H-Hazel." The girl hiccuped. Lauren smiled. "I'm Lauren." She said quietly. "Let's get you to where your friends are." Lauren added and saw that Hazel had pigtails in her light brown hair. "No. I can't. I have to wait for my friend to get back." Hazel said sternly. Lauren raised and eyebrow at her. "She was bit. I have to wait for her." Hazel said again and pointed to the walkers eating silently on the girl. Lauren gasped mentally. The girl didn't understand. Lauren pushed the young girl gently forward. "L-let's go." Lauren said quietly and kept pushing the girl.
Once they got in the shelter, Hazel dropped to her knees as she saw the young woman bleeding everywhere. Mike wrapped his arms around Lauren. "She was shot. 6 times." The man who first talked to the couple was helping her. He glanced at Lauren and focused back at the young woman on the ground. "I'm Dr. Jared. You can just call me Jared." He said quietly. Jared patted Hazels shoulder as she cried into the young woman's chest. He wiped his hands on his shirt and walked up to the couple. "That's Hazels mom. The man next to her is some guy we just met." Jared said with a small smile. He turned to Hazel. "Where's Khris?" He asked softly. Lauren told him the news and his eyes filled with tears. "Sorry it's just me and her had this thing going on and-" Lauren cut him off. "It's okay." "She's not going to make it. You never make it when it's more that 3 shots at once." Dr. Jared said and pointed to the woman on the ground who's body was almost lifeless as she stared at Hazel.
Hazel stood up and wiped her tears. He ran into Dr. Jareds arms and cried again.