Chapter 1: Rumors and Choice Words

We were sitting in the cafeteria at our usual table when he walked in. I turned my back on him and looked to my friends to confirm the latest rumor that was circling the school halls. My best friend Nancy was the first to speak.

“It’s true! It’s totally true,” she squealed loud enough to hurt my ears. My mouth flopped open like I was a floundering codfish.

“Are you serious?” I couldn’t believe my ears. For once a rumor was true. That was a first. “Someone burnt his house down?” She nodded solemnly.

“Yikes.” Another of my best friends, Danny half whispered. “Who would do that?” He was as shocked as I was. Cindy however, the cynical member of our little group, was not shocked at all.

“What do you expect?” she groaned as she rolled her eyes. “He’s an asshole who is only popular because his parents are filthy rich. He’s the guy who everyone secretly hates and all the cheerleaders want to screw.” She scoffed and went back to her burger.

“I heard that he set his own house on fire because his little sister stole from him and he wanted to kill her.” Nancy whispered. It was my turn to scoff.

“As if!” I crossed my arms and shook my head. “What kind of mental person would set their own house on fire? Or kill their sister?”

“Uh… Blake Kingston?” Cindy said through a mouthful of food. She swallowed and continued, “Come on. The guy is a complete spaz. Don’t you remember he had that complete breakdown last year and had to be committed to hospital? He’s a total loony.” I frowned at her.

“We don’t know what really happened. I mean he could have had something seriously medically wrong with him.” I said. Nancy’s eyes almost popped out of her head.

“Are you defending him?” She practically yelled at me. The look on my face must have been one of pure horror and rage because her face immediately took on an expression of regret and almost fear.

“No! I am not!!” I roared. A few people stopped and stared at me before returning to their lunch. Blake Kingston was one of the worst people on the face of the planet. He had made all of my primary school years a nightmare and continued his torture into high school. I hated that boy with everything in me. He was pure evil and if I could, I would make him disappear altogether. All three of my friends shrunk back in their chairs. Nancy looked like she wanted to cry. Her expression tugged at my heart. “I’m sorry Nancy. You know how I get with that guy. I’m sorry I yelled.” She nodded and gave me a small smile.

“I know. I’m sorry too.” Her voice was cotton wool soft and I leaned over to give her a huge hug.

“It does make me wonder…” Danny started, “where is he going to be staying now? I mean his family can’t stay in a burnt down building, obviously.” We all looked to him as he tapped his chin, thinking.

“Probably at some posh hotel. What else?” Cindy droned, obviously bored with this topic. Truthfully, I was too.

“Anyway…” I started, trying to shift the conversation. “Do you guys wanna come sleep over this weekend? We can have a movie-fest?” Nancy let out a little squeal of delight and nodded enthusiastically. Danny and Cindy looked at each other, then back at me.

“Not Friday.” Cindy emphasized. “We have a date on Friday.” Cindy and Danny had been dating for a little over a year now. They were so in love it made me a little sick sometimes. Thankfully they kept the mushy stuff to a minimum in public. She smiled at Danny and then looked back to me. “But Saturday works.” I grinned like a Cheshire cat.

“Awesome!” I replied. “Saturday it is then.” At that moment the bell rang. My three friends and I got up and sauntered our way to our separate classes.