Chapter 4: Clocks and Car Rides

“Wake up! Sierra!” I felt something grab onto my shoulder and shake me roughly. “Wake up! Come on! We have to go!” I groaned and rolled over to see Amara’s face hovering over me, her hair pulled up into two pigtails on either side of her head.

“What?” I said groggily, rubbing my eyes.

“I said we have to go! You better hurry or we’ll be late.” She hopped from foot to foot sounding agitated.

“It can’t be that late,” I muttered “my alarm hasn’t even gone off yet…” I turned my head to look at my alarm clock only to see a black screen where bright red letters used to be. I let out a frustrated groan when I realized my clock had been unplugged. I picked up my phone and the display lit up. My eyes bugged out of my head when I saw that it was almost 8:30am. “Oh my GOD!” I ripped the covers off my body and rushed to my closet, pulling out a pair of old jeans and a baggy green knit sweater. I ripped off my pyjama shorts and tugged the jeans on, not caring that Amara was in the room. I pulled the sweater over the white singlet I wore to bed and shoved my feet into my blue converse. I grabbed my backpack (luckily I had packed it the night before) and bolted out the door after Amara.

Walking out the front door I saw Blake, keys in hand, next to the sleek blue sports car I had seen him drive to school in. He grunted when he saw me, shaking his head.

“No way Amara. It’s not happening.” Her mouth dropped open but before she could protest Blake cut her off again. “I put up with driving you to school but I draw the line with her.” He said pointing at me.

“But Blake!!” Amara started in a whiny voice. “You can’t just leave her to walk! She’ll be late!” Blake smirked.

“That’s her fault. She should have woken up earlier.” I heard him snicker under his breath and I sent him a death glare.

“I would have if you hadn’t unplugged my alarm clock.” I snarled at him. Amara stepped towards the car before Blake had a chance to reply.

“If you don’t drive her to school too I’ll tell mum you purposely made Sierra late right after she apologized and said she would try to be kinder to you.” She paused to let the message sink in and Blake’s expression changed to one of slight worry. “And you know how mum feels about provoking people who have apologized to you.” Amara crossed her arms and glared at Blake. He glared right back before he let out a frustrated groan and stepped away from the car.

“Fine! Get in, both of you. But in the back seat. I can’t let people think I’m associated with the two of you.” Blake pulled the door open and moved the driver’s seat so we could both climb into the back seat. Once we had our seat belts on and Blake pulled out of the driveway I grabbed Amara’s hand and smiled, mouthing Thank you. She grinned back at me.

“So do you have anything exciting happening today?” I asked Amara. She shook her head.

“No, just boring class work as usual.” She said with a shrug.

“You’re lucky, I have a maths quiz this morning.” I spared a quick glance to the front to see Blake’s jaw clench in frustration and I thought I heard him mutter a few curses.  I smirked and looked back at Amara. Her glance flickered with confusion for a second until her gaze moved to Blake. A slow lazy smile spread across her face as she realized what my intentions were.“It’s meant to be a tough one so I made sure to study last night. I feel sorry for anyone who slacked off. They’re going to get slaughtered.” I laughed. All of a sudden the radio came on loud and clear. I leaned my head forward into the front of the car and turned to Blake angrily. “Excuse me, we are trying to have a conversation back here.”

“Which is exactly why I turned it on. I don’t want or need to hear your stupid conversations.” He replied with a smirk plastered on his face. I sighed and rolled my eyes.