vier.

CHAPTER FOUR ,
fire

CHAPTER FOUR ,fire

I could hear my hushed, but quick breaths in my own ears as I arched my back to take a stance. I didn't know how to differentiate some images from the next, or one sound from each other. They all seemed to blend together like an echo in a wide open space. It caused me to stand there, not ready for anything.

⠀Although, I could feel the sun hitting my skin like a fizz ― it beat down on me ― it may have been the thing to wake me up, but it wasn't. A deep voice, from where I thought was the back of my brain, called out. It was only then that adrenaline rushed its way through my veins like the tide of the ocean, or a spark in ignition. A burning seemed to rise in my muscles, and air rushed its way into my chest as I looked around to where I was going ― to what was happening, and what's going on.

⠀My eyes widened and a curse blew past my lips as a hand latched itself to my wrist, pulling gently but eagerly. "Jesus!" I turned towards the person, ignoring the walkers that crept into my vision from all four sides.

⠀Daryl kept a firm, gentle grip on my wrist, looking me in the eyes. "You'll be seeing God if you don't move your ass!" His words came out as a harsh whisper, before he turned away but still kept me close.

⠀My legs didn't seem to want to move, so his hand became more rigid as he pulled me towards the fence of the prison. I had heard them cutting into it, but only now just noticed the whole pierced through it. And so I ducked my head, following closely behind him as I felt Beth usher herself behind me.

⠀Everyone eventually made it through, and we stood eagerly waiting as Glenn wrung a wire to stitch the hole back together. The fence rattled under their hands, and my legs never stood still for even a second as I brought a hand up to shield my eyes, and to look over the fence to the prison.

⠀We were breaking into a prison. Apart from the quantity of walkers that roamed the lower field, it didn't look very forgiving. It looked cold, and dank ― not a place I would call home. But the pull towards the forest was no longer swirling in my gut, telling me this is where were supposed to be.

⠀I let my eyes follow each walker, clad with blue jumpsuits as they aimlessly wandered across the field, somehow, lush grass. One approached me, clawing the fence and trying to reach through towards me.

⠀When the fence was rewired, everyone started tiredly jogging down the narrow space. Glenn had to tug on my shirt, as I drifted to the back with burning lungs.

⠀With everything happening, all I seemed to do was watch ― I felt useless.

⠀"It's... Perfect," Rick breathed out, right as we came to the front gate. I didn't know whether I should believe him, considering I didn't know much about prisons except from what I saw in movies. To me, it was a stone box full of different, and possibly horrible possibilities. "If we can shut that gate, prevent more from filling the yard, we can pick off these walkers."