twaalf.

CHAPTER TWELVE
     mother's mercy

CHAPTER TWELVE     mother's mercy

Whatever cowardice had left any residue in my bones, it was slowly creeping it's way up my spine. In that moment Lori needed me, and yet I was hesitating to run.

⠀But when we descended further into the cell block, I had to force down the fear like bad tasting medicine. But, luckily for me, Rick had a tendency to keep weapons near the door leading outside. I found purchase with a small Glock, squeezing it tightly between my fingers as I followed behind Lori.

⠀It was almost silent, an eery kind. Our heartbeats rattled against the greying walls. Licking up our skin with danger, crawling at our feet like shadows. Telling us something was wrong.

⠀And when we found our way walking to the safety of our cells, where most of our livelihood was resided against in the night, we found it was everything but, as ugly, chewed skin reeled its head towards us.

⠀Walkers stormed towards us, and my initial instinct made me lurch backwards and more towards the gated corridors from whence I came just yesterday.

⠀The last time I stepped from those obscurities, I was drenched in blood.

⠀Lori, Carl, and Maggie followed my lead as I shakingly raised the mouth of my gun upwards, keeping my stance balanced in preparation for trouble.

⠀Lori gripped her rounded stomach as she jogged, and a sudden sense of dread nearly made me throw up. My eyes had an unrelenting grip on her body, and it was only filled with worry.

⠀The hairs on the back of my neck stood on end, even as we remained orderly as we tracked through the hallways.

⠀Carl kept his arms upwards, senses on high alert in front of his mother. And I couldn't imagine what was going through his head, whilst mine was brimming with dread.

⠀I absolutely wracked my brain for a solution this problem. For a plan. I wasn't ever good at making them, I was always the soldier in these chapters.

⠀I had to keep Lori alive... for Rick... for Carl.

⠀That's his mother.

⠀I didn't want to fall downwards and drag his parent with me.

⠀Then there was Maggie, constantly backing me up despite what she had witnessed from me. She was here, alive, and I was determined to keep it that way.

⠀So with that I almost hurled myself forwards to the front of our small formation. With loose trust thread between us, we checked each and every corner for a danger we hadn't for seen.