zes.

CHAPTER SIX ,
animal kingdom

CHAPTER SIX ,animal kingdom

The air seemed viscous with mildew, and the remnants of other people. Rick raised his knife, ready to onslaught anything that came. But as Daryl pulled the door open, we were met with nothing. An iron gate disuniting us from the inside. I walked in oscillation after the men, delving into the darkness. Each corner and crevice painted with shadows, and incarcerated ghosts. The indents in the walls seemed to asseverate. They spoke of who had been here and what happened to them.

⠀I swallowed thickly, hearing the rasp of the doors both in front of and behind me. I reluctantly pulled the lance from my shoulder, despite Rick's ostensibly relaxed shoulders. He turned to give us a short nod, his hands lingering outwards. In the corner of my eye, I spotted the rest of us, including T-Dog who closed the metal door behind us. it revealed nothing but stagnant darkness.

⠀My eyes couldn't see far enough into the block to feel safe, yet I felt a beckoning pull.

⠀With my unknown source of curiosity, and Daryl's confidence spurring me on, I stepped in further. He kept his back tight and straight, assured in his surroundings. Despite the nothingness of it all.

⠀I didn't know whether I could call this shade, as the bright sun still seemed to seep into the walls. But the shadows enveloped our once scorched skin in cool relief. My eyes took a while to adjust, and I squinted as dust fell in front of me. the grey schema made our pathway foreboding, as we shuffled wordless through the space, reaching out to anything foreign.

⠀The silence filtered around us, and I cluelessly followed Daryl's form in the lack of light. Going down steps, and sauntering around the empty ― what seemed to be ― cafeteria area. Even though my lance worked, and I had seen it work, I found myself relying on the crossbow pointed outwards from the hands of the man in front of me.

⠀I watched his eyes flit and scan, moving erratically and his eyelashes fluttering. It was then I spotted him watching as Rick ascended another set of stairs.

⠀There seemed to be nothing there.

⠀Without another thought, I pushed past Daryl and towards the other gate that led to the rest of the block. Framed by scattered paper and various amounts of other litter. Gripping the metal tightly, I only moved it lightly as the make minimal noise ― but the only stayed still in my grasp.

⠀I looked over my shoulder on instant, and spotted Daryl eyeing my hand that still lay across the bar. Then his eyes flicked upwards, towards my own gaze.

⠀Rick soon approached, a large set of keys suspended from the end of his pointer finger as if in exultation. I shifted backwards, impinging vainly with the hunter's body before stepping beside him.