Pre-Dinner Part 5

Ali and Basti quickly went through the specialty grocery, with Ali giving Basti some tips in cooking along the way. He has been missing Greek food of late and was delighted that Ali chose to cook that for their dinner.

"So ... you do realize that we are having this dinner to get to know Stephen." Basti started, as they pushed the cart around.

"Oo naman. Very transparent naman yang si Iris eh." Ali chuckled.

Basti smiled at the mention of his beautiful wife, "I mean we just want to watch out for you, with your past with Romeo."

Ali shook his head, "Matagal na yun, I've learned my lesson, and gaya nga ng sinabi ko, hindi ako gusto ni Stephen that way, I mean best friends lang talaga kami."

"Still we would like to get to know him, you are still our best friend and we love you, ayaw ka namin masaktan o maloko ng kung sino-sino lang."

Ali nodded, "I appreciate that, mahal ko rin kayong dalawa ni Iris, alam ko rin na madami kayong pinagdadaanan ngayon at hindi na dapat ako isama sa alalahanin ninyo."

Basti put his arms around Ali, "Look Bro, oo, madami kaming pinagdadaanan, andyan ka palagi para sa amin, pero hindi ibig sabihin, ikaw lang ang mag-aadjust at mamalasakit sa amin. So this is the perfect time na makilala namin si Stephen baka mapalitan na kami."

"Sira"

"Di nga?"

"Oo nga, you guys will always be my best friends. Kaya nga 2 in 1 package na kayo diba."

Basti laughed at that, "parang ganun na nga."

They were laughing while pushing the cart, when suddenly at the wine aisle, they bumped into another cart. "Sorry, I am sor..."

"Stephen!"

"Uy! Bro! Basti!"

Ali was surprised to find Stephen in the same grocery store, "Ano ginagawa mo dito?"

"Naghahanap ng wine, hindi ko alam anong cuisine lulutuin mo so naghahanap ako nga bagay for most of the food na puwede mo lutuin." Stephen answered but was surprisingly frowning at him and Basti.

Basti noticed the frown and tried to lighten the mood, "I think Ali is preparing Greek food, special request namin ni Iris, na-mimiss ko na kasi"

Frowned turned deeper while looking at Basti, "Ganun ba? So white wine will be good alright, Chef Ali?"

Ali was now also frowning at Stephen, "Yeah, white wine will be great."

"May dessert na ba? I saw they have baklava sa bakery across the street, I can bring some, Greek night pala. Or maybe greek yogurt and veggie sticks for appetizer?"

Ali was about to open his mouth answer Stephen.

But Basti beat him to it, eyes twinkling, "You should try Ali's tzatziki, its teleios!" With matching kiss on lips that he was known to do in Greece.

Ali was watching in amusement as Basti was going back to his Greek self years ago.

Stephen was silent, "So dessert?"

Ali shook his head, "Bro, huwag na, I've got it covered. Get the white wine na lang."

"Oo nga bro, get the wine, then lets convoy going to the Love Nest, you can hang out with us while Ali is cooking." Basti invited.

Stephen stopped a bit, looked at Ali, then to a smiling Basti, "Uhm, sure, sunod ako sa cashier, pipili lang ako ng whites."

"Great."

"Great."

"Great! Let's go, Bro, ano pa kailangan mo? You remember you did that kebab thing during Dad's event, natikman ko yung natira, it was delicious! Can you cook that again?"

Stephen was looking at the two friends as they walked away, without a backward glance at him. They were expecting him at the cashier area anyway. He shooked his head, Get it together, Stephen, its just dinner. 

But he cant help but feel a pang, as he sees the backs of Ali and Basti. Stop it, wala yan.

~comments please~