Chapter 26

Her words stunned me and for a few seconds, I stared at her.

"Why?" I finally managed. Penelope licked her lips, her eyes showing how uncomfortable she was feeling.

"You don't have to tell me, its fine." I quickly assured. Penelope shook her head and gave me a weak smile.

"It's okay. The memory just brings back so many emotions." Penelope closed her eyes briefly, before continuing. "A few years ago, after Xerxes' father died, his mother mated with a man called Dereck. Dereck had a son, who is Gary. Xerxes hated Gary and Dereck. Xerxes knew that Dereck was only using his mother so that he could persuade her to make him step down as Alpha and allow Gary to be the one instead. Of course, that didn't happen." Penelope paused, her eyes darting over my shoulder as if to see if someone was watching us.

"Dereck had influenced Xerxes's mom to drink and she quickly became a violent alcoholic. She obviously wasn't able to carry out the neccessary duties that she was asked to do whilst Xerxes and Flynn were away."

Penelope continued, "One day when she was intoxicated and Xerxes and my mate had flown overseas, a human accidentally walked into our territory. Gary and Derrick caught her, beat her and put her into the cells, not allowing anyone to give her food or water. My mother, however, went against his words and gave the girl some food. She was getting away with it for a few days until Gary followed her and saw what she was doing. My mother was dragged by Gary into the middle of the territory. Derrick gave Gary a barb wire and she was beaten in front of the whole pack until she died."

Tears were streaming down Penelope's cheeks and she choked on a sob. "I couldn't do anything. Derrick ordered three guards to hold me down and watch."

I allowed her to cry into my shoulder while I hugged her, trying to soothe her painful memories and tears. I was surprised no one seemed to hear her cries. After composing herself, she continued, her eyes wide and red.

"Xerxes found out about it and killed Dereck. Gary managed to escape for a couple of years, but then was found by Flynn. Xerxes was going to kill him, but his mother begged him not to. Xerxes has never and will never forgive him for what he did. His mother pushed for them to work together, but Xerxes has a very low tolerance for him. Gary disobeying him and ignoring his rules in the contract was the last straw for him. He's set on killing Gary when he has the chance." Penelope sniffled, wiping away a few strayed tears. "He deserves it."

"Of course he does," I breathed, blinking rapidly. "What happened to the girl?"

Penelope glanced over my shoulder again. "She works for us. She's actually flying in tomorrow. Charlotte, remember?"

I gaped. So she was the human girl. She probably got those scars from Gary and Derrick when they had beaten her. My fists clenched into fists and I opened my mouth to speak, only to press my lips together. People were leaving the room in which the meeting had taken place, including Flynn and Xerxes.

Penelope cursed under her breath and wiped furiously at her eyes. They just became even redder.

"Hey babe." Flynn reached us and drew a hand around his mate's waist, pressing a kiss on her hair. Penelope cleared her throat.

"Hi." Penelope croaked, avoiding eye contact with him. Xerxes cocked his head, noticing her eyes. His gaze went to my wet shirt which she had cried upon. I slowly shook my head and a muscle ticked in his jaw before he gave a small nod. His eyes however, warned me that he would be questioning me later.

Flynn didn't notice, at least he pretended not to. "Anyone up for some ham and cheese sandwiches? They are being served in the kitchen and I'm starving."