Chapter 28

The room was silent for a few minutes after Xerxes had asked the question. He refused to break eye contact with me and I refused to as well. A slow smirk of amusement was on his face as he watched me mumble in annoyance.

"Fine," I declared. "But you have to live up to your promise. You and I both know what will happen if you don't."

Xerxes nodded. "Yes, yes I do."

"And I'm still trying to get my head around this whole mate situation. So don't push me."

Xerxes winked. "I wouldn't dream of it." He chuckled. When my eyes narrowed again, he straightened and his face grew serious. He and I knew it would take me a while before I came fully comfortable with him. Xerxes has to prove that he is indeed going to carry out what he said he would.

The noise of feet made me realize that Penelope was still in the room. She was beaming, but trying desperately to cover it by coughing.

I raised an eyebrow at her as she nodded at us and left. A bowl of soup was placed onto my lap. My eyes looked from the soup and up to Xerxes. His eyes were looking intensely down at me and I shifted under his gaze.

"The soup's getting cold." Xerxes told me, before standing. "I have some things to discuss with my Beta."

I nodded and watched as his large frame walked away, scaring Charlotte who had almost collided into him as she scurried through the door, her hands with some clothes.

She placed them on the edge of the bed. "I brought a pair of jeans and a long-sleeved shirt. It's kind of chilly in here so I brought you a coat as well."

'"Thanks Charlotte." I said, before dipping my spoon into the soup. I managed to eat it quickly, wanting to change out of my clothes as soon as possible.

Ten minutes later, I had finished off my soup and was zipping up my coat, facing Charlotte. She linked my arm with hers and gently directed me out the room.

"You need some rest. There's a bedroom a couple doors down." She explained. I nodded and allowed her to show me to the room. My bags that I had brought from home, packed with my clothes and other stuff, were on the floor near the bed.

The bed looked much more comfortable than the one in the previous room. Charlotte told me firmly to get some rest, but I found it hard to do so.

I was worried about Leo and Harold. Charlotte, Penelope nor Xerxes had mentioned anything about them. I chewed on my fingernail as I sat up in bed, concerned.

Charlotte had told me before she left that she would return every twenty minutes to check in on me.

So for the next twenty minutes I stared at the door anxiously, waiting for Charlotte to return. I wouldn't sleep until I got some sort of information on how they are.

Charlotte exclaimed in annoyance when she saw that I was awake, but once I explained to her the reason why, understanding flickered across her face.

She sat on the edge of the bed, clearing her throat. "They aren't dead. Leo is fine, just has a few cuts and bruises. And Harold, he's recovering from surgery."

My eyes widened. "Harold had surgery?"

Charlotte nodded. "Yes. After he was stabbed by Gary, he was mauled horribly by one of the red-eyed wolves. He had to go straight into surgery as soon as the war was over." Charlotte patted my hand comfortingly. "Don't worry so much, Becca. He's doing great now. And like you, he needs some rest."

Charlotte stood, giving me a reassuring smile. She watched me lay down reluctantly on the bed, before leaving the room.

I allowed myself to sleep, knowing that Harold and Leo were fine.