Chapter 3

I'd Lie

Chapter 3

Bella's POV

        Recovering, I quickly wiped the coffee stains from my body. I stood up, gaping at Edward. How dare he say that?! My mind raised to several conclusions. I could feel my heart beating wildly and didn't notice that I'd been holding my breath. I tried to say something, but huge lumps were covering my throat. Suddenly there's a loud bang on the door.

        "Edward, we're here!" The voice seemed familiar to me, but I couldn't put my finger on who's it.

        I didn't know how long we had been standing there, but his features were washed with mixed emotions: fear, guilt.

        "Edward, might care to open the door? It's not like you've been doing criminal things, right?" I said. 

        I could see his reluctance while opening the door, and my eyes almost shot out of its socket. Dr. and Mrs. Cullen are here?! Bella, act normal! I mentally scolded myself.

        "Oh, Edward, I miss..." Esme trailed off as she caught sight of me.

        A big warm smile appeared on her face, and she flung herself to me. I couldn't react; I felt frozen in place. I sent Edward a questioning look, but he just smiled sheepishly at me. I hugged her back, feeling a bit awkward.

        "Edward, I really am happy that you chose Bella as your wife."

        I could feel my whole body tensing. Did I hear the correct word? WIFE?! I mentally slapped and pinched myself hoping that this was a dream. Edward laughed nervously and wrapped his arms around my waist. I tried to act very normal, but the fact that his marvelous body was inches away from mine, sent me into tons of electrical shocks.This is not the time to think how perfect Edward is! Besides you don't have to check him out! I looked down because my mind wanted answers.

        "Yes, Mom, I am a very lucky man to have Bella," he said. Esme and Carlisle looked at each other and smiled happily. Man! What on earth did I have gotten myself into?!

        "Mom, Dad, please take a sit. Bella and I have to talk about... something." They nodded, and he entwined his fingers with my own, dragging me toward his room.

        "What was that?!" I snapped angrily.

        "Shh, Bella. They'll hear you." He ran his fingers through his hair nervously.

        "Don't shush me! What the hell was that?! Wife?! Edward, I'm not your wife and never will be! What will they think of me?! Plain Bella. Ugh! What kind of mess have you put me into again? Stop playing games with me, Cullen! Asshole, jerk..." I whispered angrily so that they won't hear us.

        Edward clamped his hand on my mouth to stop me from my ramblings. I pushed his hand away and stared at him in disbelief. "My situation is very complicated. Bella, I had to tell my parents that I'm married to get away." He shook his head and sat on his bed.

        "What do you mean to get away?"

        "I was a playboy before, and my parents were sick of seeing different girls in our house. They tried to ground me and everything, but I was such a jerk and tried to sneak out. One day I heard them talking about setting me up with Lauren. I wanted to object, but they didn't budge unless..." He tugged on the strands of his hair.

        "Unless what?"

        "Unless I go find a job and get married to save myself from disasters involving women. So I lied and told them I got married. They haven't contacted me for less than a year, considering that they love to travel, but then they just appeared out of the blue." To say that I was shocked was completely an understatement.