10. New Surroundings

"power doesn't corrupt people. people corrupt power"

-

We landed a days time later at General Fong's base in the Earth Kingdom. I happily looked over the landscape as I breathed in the new air. The Earth Kingdom smelled much dryer than the Water Tribes, but the new view of the world was incredible. I had never seen any of the world other than the water tribes and a little of the Fire Nation. I had never even been close to the Earth Kingdom. 

We landed in Fong's base where the general was waiting. "Welcome, Avatar Aang!" the general said once we landed and got off Appa. "I am General Fong, and welcome, to all of you great heroes! Appa, Momo, brave Sokka, the mighty Katara and the great Mae," he said.

I smirked. Great Mae. I could get used to that.

"Mighty Katara? I like that," Katara said pleased. Then a bunch of fireworks went off.

"Not bad, not bad," Sokka commented.

General Fong lead us inside to his discussion room. "Avatar Aang, we were all amazed at the stories of how you single-handedly wiped out an entire Fire Navy fleet at the North Pole," Fong spoke as he stroked his beard, "I can't imagine what it feels like to wield such devastating power. It's an awesome responsibility," he said and looked down at the four of us.

"I try not to think about it too much," Aang shrugged casually.

"Avatar, you're ready to face the Fire Lord now," Fong said calmly. My eyes widened. He was far from ready.

"What? No, I'm not!" Aang shouted shocked.

Katara cut in. "Aang still needs to master all four elements," she said in protest.

"Why? With the kind of power he possesses, power enough to destroy hundreds of battleships in a matter of minutes, he could defeat the Fire Lord now!" Fong insisted.

"But sir, the thing is, Aang can only do those things when he's in the Avatar State," Sokka interfered.

"See, it's this special state where..." Aang started but was cut off by Fong.

"I'm well aware! Your eyes and tattoos glow and you're able to summon unbelievable power. Without you, we'd be slaughtered before we even reach their shores," he stated sharply while he looked at his map and guided his finger from the base to the Fire Nation. "But with you leading the way, as the ultimate weapon, we could cut a swath right through to the heart of the Fire Nation," he smiled.

"Right, but I don't know how to get in or out of the Avatar State, much less what to do once I'm there," Aang said doubtfully.

"Besides if something went wrong and Aang is killed, he won't be reborn," I said. They all looked at me. I shrugged. "It's common knowledge that if the Avatar dies while in the Avatar State. He won't be reborn. It's over and then nobody will save the world."

However Fong was unnerved. "So, it's decided then. I'll help you figure out how to get into the Avatar State and then you'll face your destiny and not die," Fong said triumphantly.

Sokka, Katara, Aang, and I stood up, "No, nothing's decided. We already have a plan. Aang's pursuing his destiny his way," Katara said.

"Well, while you take your time learning the elements, the War goes on. May I show you something?" he said to Aang and lead him over to a window. "That's the infirmary, and those soldiers are the lucky ones. They came back. Every day, the Fire Nation takes lives. People are dying, Aang! You could end it, now. Think about it," Fong said. Aang looked unsure, possibly doubting whether he should do it or not.

-

That afternoon Aang came into Katara and I's room, where Sokka was too. I was playing with water while laying on my bed. Katara was petting Momo. "I told the general I'd help him, by going into the Avatar State," Aang said and sat down next to Katara.

"What!?" I yelled. "You can't do that and he did you dirty by playing the guilt card."

"Aang, no! This is not the right way!" Katara said.

"Why not? Remember when he took out the Fire Navy?" Sokka said and widened his eyes, "he was incredible!".

"There's a right way to do this. Practice, study, and discipline!" Katara said.

"Or just glow it up and stop that Fire Lord!" Sokka protested casually.

"Sokka!" I said calmly.

"If you two meat heads want to throw away everything we've worked for, fine, go ahead and glow it up!" Katara yelled and walked out of the room.

"Katara, I'm just being realistic! I don't have time to do this the right way!" Aang shouted after her. When she didn't answer he looked down sadly.

"I know you why you wanna do this," I said, not looking at him. I could feel both Aang and Sokka looking at me.

"I'm gonna go find something to eat," Sokka said and left the room.

"It's because you care so much. You know it's your duty to keep the world at peace," I said and moved over to Aang. "And you feel like you've let down the world," I said and took his hand.

"But I did let the world down!" he shouted and pulled his hand to himself while standing up.

"No, you haven't," I said and took his hand once again. "I know that you feel this way and trust me I get it, I would feel the same way," I pulled him towards me and he sat down next to me once again.

"You know, once the Chief and one of the elders told me if the Avatar didn't return before my sixteenth birthday, I was gonna face the Fire Lord. They told me I had to find Raava, the spirit inside you, and save the world," I started and Aang looked at me. "I was so scared, I was only ten at that time, I didn't know how to fight or kill anyone, so I ran away. I made it about one mile outside of the tribe before the blizzard almost killed me, I remember that I was visited by a spirit. The spirit of life. It taught me to look at life with a bright future, and instead of dreading the future I should embrace it," I laughed.

"But the most important thing it gave me, was realization. I realized that no matter what happened, I couldn't let people down and no matter what, they would know I never let them down," I said and hugged Aang, "I want you to know that no matter what happens, the world hasn't given up on you and they know you will defeat the Firelord. When you're ready," I finished.

He looked up at me, "that's just the problem, I don't have time to get ready. I have to defeat the Fire Lord by the end of summer, or else he's gonna win," he said and broke free of me. "Thanks for the speech, but I have to do this," he said and left the room.

"Aang..."

-

AUTHORS NOTE

Wow! Is this an update? Yes I think it is.

I'm publishing this because I'm super, super greatful that we've almost reached 200 veiws! 3 more! I love you guys so so much!

-

RE-EDITED: 10/06/19

RE-EDITED: 13/10/19