19. Earth Rumble IX

When we all calmed down and slept on the evenings discoveries, we travelled to the Earth Kingdom town of Gaoling. An old and well-established town. We stopped by a bag shop where Sokka was debating whether or not he should get a bag and both Katara, Aang and I watched him with bored expressions. He was taking a really long time.

"It's pricey ... but I really do like it," he said pensively. I sighed.

"Then you should get it, you deserve something nice," Katara said.

"I do, don't I?," Sokka said. We all looked at him with another set of bored expressions. "But no, it's too expensive. I shouldn't," his expression turned dull.

I sighed again and placed my head in my palm. "All right, then don't," I said and stood up. I grabbed both Katara and Aang by their arms and began walking away.

Sokka slowly followed before his face lit up. "You know what? I'm gonna get it," he said enthusiastically and smiled in a pleased way.

We all sighed as he walked over to buy the bag. Just as we were waiting, a flyer guy showed up and handed Aang a piece of paper as he said, "psst, psst! Hey, you kids love earthbending? You like ... throwing rocks? Then check out Master Yu's Earthbending Academy," in a hurried voice.

He hurried away again and we all stared down at the piece of paper. "Look! There's a coupon on the back! The first lesson is free," Aang said as he turned the paper around.

I smiled and out her hand on Aang's shoulder. "Who knows? This Master Yu could be the earthbending teacher you've been looking for."

Aang shrugged and when Sokka returned we were on our way to the earthbending academy. Aang went in full earthbending academy clothing style.

As we sat outside, waiting for Aang to finish, I took up the courage to ask an emotional question. "What's dad like?"

Both Sokka and Katara shot their heads up. My expression was filled with both sadness and curiosity. "Well," Sokka started. "He likes to crack jokes, even when it isn't the greatest time," Sokka looked down.

"He's always there for you, even when you don't want him to be," Katara took over. "And I think he would be over the moon to see you. You have absolutely no idea how much he's missed you and how much we've missed you," she smiled.

I smiled and rested my chin on my knees. What I'd give to see my dad, just once again. I wanted to ask more questions but I was afraid they'd give me another perspective. Right now our father was a kind, loving man that had missed me.

"I'm sorry about mom," I muttered. It had plagued my mind since last night when I revealed the truth, that it was my fault that our mother was dead. It haunted my dreams each night and I was scared.

Sokka looked at me curiously. "It isn't your fault. Mom saved herself to save Katara, she would've done that for all of us," he said. I nodded, but the chill lingered on my spine.

Just then Aang came out of the academy. "Ehhh, he's not the one," he sighed as he beat his right ear, causing sand to fall out of his left ear. He completely stopped talking and whatever facial expression he had dropped entirely. "What'd I miss?".

I smiled a weak smile and looked up. "Family chat," I said. He made an 'o' shape with his mouth but that was all he did. I guess he didn't want to press on, as we were still on the edge about the change.

Just then two boys came out of the academy discussing who was gonna win back some belt at the Earth Rumble VI. "He's gonna have to fight his way through the best earthbenders in the world to even get a shot at the champ," one of them told his friend after he said he thought someone named the Boulder was gonna win back the belt.