Fourteen

One day we will meet after everything
We will drink and make amends
Raise a toast to your old beloved

><><><

It was fear. Fear was keeping me from moving on. I was afraid to like Yoongi hyung after what you did. Who wouldn't? I wasn't even sure if he was interested.

It was weird because we've known each other since we were kids. I don't recall ever liking him like that, but now... I don't know. Could it be because he's grown up into such a mature, attractive guy? Maybe.

Each day that I spent there, I kept thinking about it. I'm fully over you now. The thought of you has no affect on me. Aside from the slight bitterness, I'm fine. Yoongi has taken over for you and I'm not sure if I should let him.

I've reached the top of the cliff now.

I dared to look down, and there was Yoongi. He was looking right back up at me. But you know what?

I jumped anyway.

After all this time I spent climbing up, I jumped back down without any thought.

When we came home from our jobs, I decided that I would be fearless and talk to him about what I've been feeling.

"Hyung, can we talk?" I was so nervous.

He smiled his cute gummy smile and sat at the kitchen table. I took a seat across from him as I looked down, playing with my fingers. I was so scared that he would laugh in my face or kick me out. I didn't even stop to think if he was already taken! He was looking at me and was waiting for me to continue.

So I took a deep breath and said,

"I like you... A lot."

What I was afraid of didn't come. Instead, he stood up, pulled me up from my seat and kissed me so softly, and I have to admit,

That it was better than when you've ever kissed me.

So after a year went by, I found a new love. I also found... You.

I was on my way to the diner. I was craving a milkshake and I really didn't know why. When I sat down in my booth, I felt a gust of cold air come in, signaling that someone else must have entered. I was paying no attention as I was too busy deciding on what flavor I wanted.

"Hobi hyung?" That voice. I snapped my head up to that very familiar voice and was surprised with the sight that was you.

"Kim Taehyung," I breathed as you smiled lightly at me. I was speechless and had forgotten to offer for you to sit down. "You can sit down... If you want."

It was awkward. You did sit down though. You were staring at me. I felt uncomfortable.

"I'm sorry," You had said after some time of uncomfortable silence. I only blinked and a small smile soon followed after.

"I forgave you a long time ago, Tae." I laughed lightly. I'm happy now.

"O-Oh, well... Why?" You asked, eyebrows furrowed in confusion. I always used to love when you looked confused over something. But now it's Yoongi hyung's cute faces that warm my heart.

"I-I was never mad at you," I explain, "Disappointed, yes, but..." I sigh, playing with the laminated pages on the menu, "Your happiness is what mattered to me."

Your brown eyes widened and your mouth slightly opened. You then looked down like I was. "Why'd you leave?" Your voice was in a whisper. I slowly looked up at you, only seeing the crown of your head as you continued to stare at the table.

Why did I leave? Wasn't it obvious?

"You know I couldn't stay there––" You cut me off and looked at me intensely.

"Why did you leave so soon?" I only looked at you, for the only way I could answer was,

"I'm sorry that I left so suddenly, but you have to understand," I gulped, recalling that day clearly, "I was so hurt, Taehyung."

Silence. Then, your warm hand engulfed my own. I felt nothing.

"I miss you," You had said. I'm not sure if you meant that you missed our friendship or our love, or both, but I only smiled and said that I missed you, too, and I did.

"Are you happy?" I asked, now slowly taking my hand out of yours. You looked at me sadly and shook your head.

"Jimin... Jimin left me after a while. I guess you can say that I got what I deserved." You chuckled dryly. I frowned.

"You deserve to be happy, Taehyung."

"Not after what I did to you," You shot back.

"I do admit that it was wrong of you to do that, but it doesn't define you, Taehyung. You are the sweetest person I could have ever known and you deserve nothing but happiness. Doesn't everyone deserve it?" I said to you.

You smiled at me, a weak smile that I was never used to seeing you with. It was silent again for a moment until you decided to speak up.

"Hobi hyung?"

"Yeah?"

"I realized... I still love––"

I didn't know what you were going to say, because the waitress came over to take our orders. I wasn't sure if I wanted you to continue that sentence, as I had an idea of what you were going to say.

"What were you going to say?" I ask once she walked away. You bit your lip and switched your gaze to the table. Looking back up at me, your weak smile was replaced with a genuine one.

"I'd still love for us to be friends." You didn't say it, to my relief. I grinned.

"Yeah. Yeah, that would be nice."

And so when our milkshakes were delivered, we happily chatted like nothing ever happened between us. I was glad that the air was cleared between us, and now I could continue to start anew without any bumps in the road.

So yes, we met after everything. We drank our milkshakes and made amends, and I did raise a toast to my old beloved.