Chapter 9

I didn't see the beast for at least five days after the incident. I busied myself with cleaning the ballroom from our ball. He probably continued his sulking. It did seem as if the overall atmosphere of the castle had changed, however. The servants seemed cheerier, and there was more life. 

I also became a sort of idol amongst the servants. Not that they didn't spend time with me before the ball, but afterwards everyone wanted a piece of my time. 

"Alayna, would you join us for dinner tonight?" the teapot came into the ballroom to ask me with her children. 

"Of course, Mrs. Potts," I smiled graciously. 

"Would you like any help cleaning?" a feather duster asked. 

By the end of the day, many servants were in the ballroom, singing, dancing, and occasionally cleaning. 

Later, as I waltzed into the dining room to join Mrs. Potts and the other dishes for dinner, I was given a huge shock. 

The beast himself was there, sitting at the table. 

"Oh, I'm sorry to intrude, I-," I tried to turn and leave the room, but the beast interrupted me. 

"No, it's quite alright. Would you like to join me?" he asked, lifting a glass to his lips. 

I thought for a second. Was this some twisted joke? I knew that the beast and I had some sort of breakthrough when he saved my life, but this was going very fast. I still didn't really enjoy his company. 

"Actually, I'm supposed to eat with Mrs. Potts and her family. Thank you, though," I gave a small curtsy, planning on leaving the room as soon as I could. 

"You do realize she is a tea pot? Tea pots don't eat," he gave a small chuckle. 

I frowned a bit. That was a bit stupid of me, I supposed. She probably set this whole thing up. 

"Oh," was my brilliant reply. "I suppose I will join you, then." 

We sat there in awkward silence as dishes and silverware tumbled in, followed by pots of food for us to feast on. 

Lumiere walked in, followed by Cogsworth, and I hoped that they were here to save me for the awkwardness of this dinner. Unfortunately, they were just here to straighten the tie on the beast's suit. Lumiere also winked at me as they left the room. 

I should have known this would be some sort of set up to get the beast to spend time with me. I didn't know why the servants were so keen on it, but I didn't like it. 

The beast looked down at his hands, fidgeting like he was nervous. "S-so, Alayna, I heard that you like to read?"

I must have made a face, because the beast gave a small grunt and turned back to his food. I giggled at his actions and how flustered he was. He must have never learned real manners. "I do like to read, you are correct. It was one of my favorite activities before I came here, actually," I gave him a small smile. He just stared at me with his mouth gaping open, as if in complete disbelief that I responded to him. 

"O-oh, what do you like to read?" he responded, stuttering on his words. If nothing good came out of this conversation, at least he would learn to hold a conversation. 

"I enjoy everything from fairytales to historical novels. One of my favorite books is about a pirate who sales the open seas, only to realize that the real treasure he seeks is back at home. It's a very humorous book," I chuckled, but remembering the book also brought back memories. Remembering things like that always hurt my heart, because I would never enjoy them again. "Do you enjoy reading?" I asked him.