Chapter 11

The next day I decided to skip out on our reading lessons. If the beast, Elliot, had cared, he certainly didn't show it. None of the servants came to get me, and he definitely didn't. I was some mix of relieved and disappointed. The freedom was nice, but I sort of wanted validation that he liked our lessons, and that he liked spending time with me. 

After I didn't leave my room for a week, Mrs. Potts came in to lecture me. 

"Dear, what is the matter? You haven't been like this in months!" 

"Mrs. Potts, I have heard something that bothered me greatly. It is not something I can really wrap my head around," I responded, very vaguely. I knew that Elliot wasn't telling anyone about the way to break the enchantment, so I knew the only person I could talk to, besides the man himself, was Cogsworth. 

"If you don't mind me asking, dear, what is it you heard? I can't help much without knowing what it could be," Mrs. Potts poured some tea and offered it to me. 

I contemplated for a minute. Technically, I could  have told Mrs. Potts. She was a kind soul, so she wouldn't spread gossip. However, it was quite distressing, and I wished to honor Elliot's secrecy, even if he hadn't wanted me to know. 

"I'm afraid I can't tell you. Is there anyway I could speak with Cogsworth in private?" I asked. 

No more than 30 minutes later I was in a locked room facing Cogsworth. He looked as bored and paranoid as ever. 

"What is it you would like to talk to me about that is so secret?" he yawned. 

"How is the curse broken?" I asked plainly. His eyes grew ten times their normal size. My question had certainly captured his attention. 

"W-what do you mean?" he was incredibly flustered. 

"The curse. How. Is. It. Broken?" 

He narrowed his eyes at me. "What do you know?" 

"A girl has to fall in love with him."

He frowned. "I don't think it's as simple as you've made it sound. You see, he told me-," he was cut off by a knock on the door. 

"Alayna, the master is calling for you! Apparently he is in desperate need of help today with something," one of the servants shouted. 

"We will continue this conversation later," I narrowed my eyes at him. He sighed with relief as I walked out the door. 

I met Elliot in the library, where he was sitting at the desk, holding a stack of papers. "Alayna! Would you like to see my progress? I've written five pages worth of writings." He seemed so pleased with himself, so innocent, that I almost forgot why I was there. 

"I'd love to see your progress," I smiled sickeningly sweet. 

He didn't seem to notice my slight hostility, and instead showed nothing but excitement to show me his progress. 

He had actually become quite the writer. His handwriting was beautiful, to be honest. I was incredibly impressed, despite my desire to be angry. 

"Would you like to go outside today?" Elliot turned to me, smiling. 

I was shocked at first. I was not allowed outside. I hadn't been outside, other than on my attempted escape, since I had gotten here. I didn't think any of the inhabitants of the castle really left, either. Perhaps that was because it was winter, however. 

"I would love to go outside," I was so excited at the thought, I forgot to be mad. 

"It is cold out there, so make sure you have a cloak with you. I will meet you at the front doors in a few minutes?" Elliot stood up, offering his hand to help me out of my chair, which I kindly accepted.