Chapter 26

Girls aren't really sluts for like two different guys. It's their heart that is a slut. So don't blame them...unless well, they act like one.

~Notebook Page 15

Kate POV

Things were getting back to normal. Well only if you call pre-planned letters from the "dead", a guy who hasn't talked to you since the kiss, a boyfriend constantly at your beck and call, and a friend who hasn't been there for you.

'You'll always be here for me won't you Roxy?' I coo at my puppy. She's always here for me, except when she's hungry then I'm not important to her anymore. "I guess I'm not as important as food, am I right?" She only barks in reply.

 "Do you want to go on a walk, baby?" I grab her leash and open the front door, seeing the sunshine for the first time in 2 days.

"Where are you going?" Josh asks eyeing the leash in my hand. 'Out...well, Roxy's been cooped up and I haven't been doing a good job of walking her. I mean, poor Adam has been walking her every single day! And she's my responsibility.

"Okay, can I tag along?" See guys this is what I mean about him constantly being around me.

'Umm, would it be okay if only I took Roxy, I don't think she's been feeling my love and I think she wants some alone time with me. As if she understood us she whined, mocking loss of attention.

"Okay." He then bent down and petted Roxy's fur before heading toward the kitchen.

Once Roxy and I started to walk our strides were slow, but as the seconds turned into minutes my thoughts were all over the place. What have I said that might have made Robert ignore me? What have I done to Josh and Adam's relationship? Will they ever go back to be the brothers they were before I made an appearance? What are the 3 keys? Are they animals, objects, what! Am I really a good friend? Did I do well on my finals? I need a scholarship so Amber and Ben don't have to worry about me.

My slow strides turned into a sprint and before one minute turned into the next, I was full out running. I wasn't a bad runner but I wasn't the best either. After 15 minutes of full blown running, I started to slow down and tried to get more oxygen into my lungs. I wasn't a winter runner, the cold air made it somewhat hard to breathe. But those thoughts made me want to keep going, even if it meant feeling the blood in my throat. 

I took the earbuds out of my ears and clicked the pause button on the ongoing music. Looking at where my feet have taken me, I had realized that I hadn't been paying attention to where I was going and had gotten lost. Roxy barked 3 times before I looked down at her.

"What is it?" I asked as she barked then ran off.

'Roxy! where on earth are you going?! Stop!' I shout as I run after her. 'Roxy!' I shout. I follow her for a while before halting at what I see. There in front of my innocent eyes was Robert kissing Dave, another senior in my grade. Dave was a smart guy and very athletic. He was number one runner and jumper on the school's team.

But what were they doing here...kissing. Unless...? Roxy started to bark again and they abruptly broke apart startled. I dashed behind an oak tree to hide but wasn't fast enough.

"Kate?" I head Robert ask aloud. I heard footsteps near me and I stoped breathing. Go away! I thought to myself, praying that Robert didn't see me. Of course, that was kinda impossible... and eventually started to breathe again as I was feeling a bit lightheaded.

"What are you doing here?" He asked the moment he spotted me.

'Umm, I actually don't know... you see I got lost, then Roxy got loose, then she somehow found this place that led me to find you, itsnotwhatyou'rethinking-Iwasnot-'