Chapter 9

Chapter 9

Yugi and Joey's emotions were intense as they stood on opposite sides of the dueling platform. They were both fighting for family they loved, but only one of them could win. Their friends up in the balcony were almost as tense.

"Who would have guessed that, out of all the duelists who started in this tournament, two best friends would wind up in the final match?" Bakura said.

"Yeah," said Tristan. "This is definitely harsh, but at least one of them's going to get a chance to take on Pegasus."

"I guess you're right," Tea said, "but don't you think it'd be easier if they just flipped a coin or something? Then we could get our match with Pegasus now."

"I don't think that it works that way, Tea."

"Well, why doesn't it? Yugi and Joey are like brothers. They shouldn't be forced to fight each other like this." Her distress and frustration flowed through her words.

"I totally hear what you're saying, but it's just how this tournament works."

"Well, I don't like it!"

I agreed with Tea. However, the strength of her emotions magnified my own, so I forced myself to focus on the duelists on the field. Yugi appeared torn, but Joey actually seemed confident and determined. After sharing some words, Joey managed to ease the burden from his friend. Yugi merged with the Spirit of the Puzzle, and they were ready to duel.

Surely the stakes were not as high as the two of them made them out to be. Whoever won could easily obtain what they both wanted by defeating Pegasus. Why did I sense they wanted to duel hard against each other?

"Your gracious host will now make a few opening remarks," Croquet said.

"Congratulations, duelists," Pegasus said as he stood from his chair, "you're the finest in the world. And for that reason, I'll look forward to a match that's sure to consist of your dueling best. After all, should you give me anything less, I will know."

I shivered as I felt power from the Millennium Eye. I hated he was amused that two friends were now pitted against each other. I trusted that they would show him that their friendship was stronger than this!

"Yugi, before we start, I just want to say thanks, man," Joey said. "Just look at me. I'm in the final match of the niftiest Duel Monsters tournament that's ever been thrown. And it's all 'cause of you, bud. You got me here. You looked out for me."

"You're wrong, Joey," Yugi said. "You earned your place here."

"Thanks, pal. Just know that, no matter what happens here, you're my friend and you always will be, Yug. But, uh, don't think that means I'm gonna go easy on you in this match... or that I expect you to go easy on me. I'm ready for your best. So let's do this!"

Yugi nodded.

"I don't think Pegasus has to worry much about these two not dueling their very hardest," Bakura said, quickly glancing at me.

"Yeah," I said, "for some reason, they both want to duel." Maybe it was a male respect thing that Tea and I did not understand.

The duel commenced. It did not take long for it to heat up. Yugi and Joey dueled without holding anything back. They constantly stopped each other and overcame the other. Yugi seemed to have a slight advantage, though, because of the way he was able to remain calm and think through his strategy.