One

"Okay, I think I've got everything. Dad, I've got my cell and Jake is just in the garage if you need anything," Jazmine pressed a kiss to her father's cheek and gathered all her stuff. 

Her boyfriend's truck was idling in the drive as he leant out the window, talking to Jake. Jazmine smiled and tossed her stuff into the bed of the truck before pulling the door open.

"I'll call by later and help you out with the Rabbit," Paul promised Jacob with a small smile before leaning back in the window.

"Good morning," He smiled softly, kissing Jazmine's cheek and putting the truck into drive.

"Morning, any news on Jared?" She asked. Jared had been sick lately and his parents wouldn't even let Paul visit.

"No, his mom said something about mono but I know he hasn't been with anyone lately," Paul frowned and Jazmine reached out for his hand.

"Maybe he finally got the guts to ask Kim out," Jazmine laughed softly but Paul shook his head.

"He's going to die alone, still pining after her," Paul chuckled, pulling up at the diner Jazmine worked at.

"Want to come in for something to eat?" Jazmine asked softly, drawing her bottom lip into her mouth and gazing up at Paul.

"Sure, I don't have to be home for another hour," He grinned and leant down to kiss Jazmine softly.

"Love you."

"Love you more," He grinned in reply.

/\/\/\/\/\/\

The diner as tame for a Saturday and Jazmine smiled as she traded places with a girl from Forks. She tied her apron around her waist before grabbing a notepad and pen.

Paul sat up at the counter, grinning hugely every time Jazmine passed him. He loved how distracted she got, her cheeks turning a soft shade of pink and her hand's fidgeting.

"Baby, you're gonna get me fired," She laughed as she dished up his food. He shrugged and looked around before leaning in to kiss her softly.

Jazmine kept a close eye on the door as she stood talking to Paul, listening to him rant about how his sister was hitting that age. Thirteen.

Her smile dropped as Jared came in the door. Not that it wasn't good to see him because it was. It was a huge relief to see he wasn't sick. But his long hair had been cut, cropped close now. He was wearing a t-shirt and cutoffs and Jazmine could tell he had buffed up.

Jared obviously forgot he'd cut his hair when he reached up to run his hand through it and ended up trailing his fingers through the air instead.

Jazmine had just opened her mouth to greet him when he was joined. Jared was a popular guy, so was Paul. So it wouldn't have been anything out of the ordinary if he was hanging out with a different friend. But that friend just so happened to be Sam Uley.

"What the- Jared?" Jazmine asked, cutting Paul off. Jared looked uneasy as he lifted his head and caught sight of Jazmine and Paul. It looked like all his fears had come to life.

"Hey man, I thought you were- that is not Sam Uley," Paul interrupted himself this time.

Sam Uley was one of those guys that had it all. The smarts, the looks, the skills and to top it all off, the girl. He'd been in with a chance for a scholarship and everyone presumed he'd marry Leah.

That was until one day he disappeared without a trace. The small Reservation had been in a state without him, posters taped to telephone polls, search parties in the forest, you name it.

Leah had been distraught. She basically went catatonic. The only person who could pull her out of her funk had been her cousin. 

Then as sudden as he had left, he was back. His hair was cut, he had grown at least half a foot and he had gained some serious muscle.

He called things off with Leah, turned down the scholarship and got his own house out in the forest.

Things couldn't get worse until they did. Leah had just begun to exit her shell, thanks to Emily, when the pair bumped into Sam at the beach.

Sam began to chase Emily, in a romantic sense. It was like Leah meant nothing anymore. Emily rejected his advances, she was loyal. Until she was attacked by a bear in the woods and Sam saved her.

Now they were loved up in a cottage in the middle of the forest and Leah was absolutely broken.

"Paul, I'm so confused," Jazmine whispered and Paul stared at his best friend as he slid into a booth with Sam across from him.

"He hates Sam, this doesn't make any sense," Paul openly stared as Jazmine pulled out her notepad.

She approached the table hesitantly like Jared would get up and laugh it off, make fun of them for believing him.

"What can I get you guys?" Jazmine asked softly, her nerves getting the better of her.

"We're actually waiting on someone."

"Can we get a different server?"

Sam and Jared spoke over each other and Jazmine blinked because there was no way Jared had just asked that.

"Sorry to break it to you, sweet cheeks, but I'm the only waitress on duty today. You wanna tell me what's up?" Jazmine raised an eyebrow at Jared who avoided looking at her.

"I don't know what you mean." He fiddled with the napkin dispenser and she slapped it out of his hands.

"Well, maybe I should talk slower. What are you doing with this?" She pointed at Sam who raised both eyebrows.

"I'm waiting for you to say 'no offence'," He sounded like he was either on the verge of yelling or laughing.

"Oh no honey, please take offence. Take as much offence as you can and then triple it. That's for Leah," His face dropped and Jazmine felt vindicated.

"Shut up Jaz. You have no idea what you're talking about," Jared snapped and Jazmine bit her tongue.

"What's going on here?" Paul asked from behind Jazmine.

"This has nothing to do with you, back off." Jared snapped again.

"You gonna make me? Don't talk to Jaz like that." Paul glared and Jared scoffed.

"Grow up Paul." He shook his head and Jazmine rolled her eyes.

"C'mon Paul, obviously the mono he got, even though he's never kissed anything that wasn't Sam's ass, has gotten to his head." Jazmine bit her lip and dragged her boyfriend away.

Jared shook his head and rolled his shoulders while Sam watched the pair walk away with a frown.

"He's going to break her heart." He sighed and Jared looked up at them as the stood huddled by the door.

"It'll destroy them both when he phases." Jared agreed, watching the innocent kiss they shared as she convinced him to go home.

"We have to do something about it, you know we do." Sam sighed.

"I know, but that doesn't mean I have to like it. They're my best friends Sam. It's going to hurt them both so much."