Chapter 6: Closer

Hi, this is mostly Gary fluff. Would like to give y'all a chance to relax from my crazy, manipulating, twisty plot.

~~~

That night, Leaf decided to visit her younger sister via dream.

"(Name)," Leaf spoke softly, appearing into her dream about cookies and candy. (Name) was technically a full-grown woman, but deep down, she was still a child at heart.

"Hmm, who are you?" The female giggled, locking eyes with Leaf. Her smile faltered. "What are you doing here?"

"You are in contact with Gary Oak again?"

"Yeah. Um... apparently, he was my boyfriend, but I'm not so sure."

"He's telling the truth." Leaf spoke solemnly. "Please, (Name), stay with him."

"I will, I guess." (Name) scratched her head in confusion. "Why wouldn't I?"

"(Name), a chain of events is about to happen. It may endanger you. Stick by Gary until I figure this out, got it?"

"Uh... alright." (Name) gestured to her pile of sweets. "Chocolate?"

"No thank you. Sweet dreams, sister."

~~~

(Name) woke with a migraine. "Ughhh..." she groaned. Espeon immediately awoke at the sound of agony from its trainer, before nuzzling its nose onto her cheek. "Good morning, Espeon." The (h/c)-haired girl glanced at the clock. 7:30. "Mother of Arceus! I'm gonna be late!"

"Espi!" Espeon responded to her trainer's frantic cries, as it hurriedly followed its trainer to get ready for the day. Changing into a simple t-shirt and a pair of jeans, (Name) hurriedly scarfed down a muffin and grabbed all of her sketchbooks.

The female arrived at the studio, panting heavily. "Sorry I'm late!" Angela glanced at her.

"Late? I'm used to seeing that from you. No worries." (Name) didn't know whether to take that as an insult or a compliment, but hey, it was Angela. "Get to work."

~~~

"Hey. I brought you lunch." (Name) looked up from her stack of drawings to see Gary. She smiled slightly, remembering what Leaf had told her in her dream. Perhaps, it was true.

"Thanks." Gary set down a wrapped burger and a drink, before turning to leave. "Wait, where are you going?" (Name) asked. baffled. He looked at her, equally as confused.

"Uhh, shouldn't I leave you to work?"

"No, no. You can stay. Um, I mean, if you want." The male nodded.

"Sure." There was an awkward silence as they both ate quietly.

"So... why did you decide to come to visit?" (Name) asked him.

"Well, why not...?" Gary scratched the back of his neck.

"Oh." Another silence. "Hey..."

"Yeah?"

"You... you're sure you aren't lying to me about all of this, right?" The spiky-haired male looked slightly offended.

"No, not at all. Why would you think that?" (Name) felt herself turn red in embarrassment.

"Well, I just..."

"Don't worry, I get it." Gary sighed. "I just forgot, I'm a stranger to you now, right? I would be skeptical as well."

"I'm glad you understand." They smiled at each other. "Well, I think it's too early to make assumptions, but, I'm thinking maybe this could work out."

"I sure hope so." The door suddenly barged open.

"Lovebirds," Bonnie yelled. "Sorry to interrupt your moments, but Angela told me to tell you that it's time to get back to work."

"Ah, alright, Bonnie." (Name) quickly tore her gaze away from Gary, and gave him a respectful nod. "See you later."

"See ya." Gary gave her a mock salute as he fixed his lab coat and left. Once again, (Name) could hear her heart pounding in her ears.

~~

Back in Unova, ever since the attack on the Nimbasa Studios, Kyurem had once again returned to his sleep. But, he allies that were ever willing to do his bidding.

It was no secret that he wanted (Name) (Last Name) destroyed. She knew way too much. Way too much about Pokemon lore, way too much about the Legendaries themselves. In addition, she possessed so much raw power and talent, if she wasn't stopped, she could possibly bring about destruction.

In his last attempt to stop her, he had only been able to erase her memory. But now, Gary Oak had once again appeared on the scene. Kyurem had turned a blind eye on him, because he was merely a Pokemon Researcher, a fool. But now that he has told (Name) everything she needed to know, perhaps he would have to eliminate him as well.

Kyurem knew, for sure, that Arceus could stop him. After all, he was the God Pokemon, the almighty. But Arceus was far away, too isolated to know of Kyurem's plans just yet.

Kyurem himself was no slouch. He was not just truth, not just ideals, he was balance.

~~~

(Everything will be explained in time, love me pls)

The evening was calming and peaceful, it seemed like it was just the two of them under the candlelight.

That is, if you ignore the little kids screaming in the background and the noisy chatter all around.

The restaurant was busy and so noisy, (Name) and Gary nearly had to yell to be heard. It's not like (Name) minded, though, because for some reason, being with him filled her with warmth and happiness; he may be a stranger to her mind, but not to her emotions.

"What are you gonna order?" Gary asked loudly.

"I don't know, whatever you suggest!" (Name) said back, equally as loudly. At the very moment, the restaurant went quiet and everyone turned to stare at the pair who seemed to be yelling like idiots. The two looked at each other in bewilderment before bursting out laughing. Whispers flung among the crowd,

"Hey, isn't that Professor Oak's grandson?"

"And isn't that a Kalos Lady with him?"

"Just ignore them," Gary said plainly. "And focus on the food."

"Woah, they serve breakfast specials here." (Name)'s eyes suddenly shone with excitement. "Hey, would you be mad if I got—" Gary sighed and rolled his eyes.

"You want the bacon dish, don't you?" (Name) blinked three times in rapid succession.

"Well, yeah. How did you know?" Gary laughed out loud.

"I have my ways." (Name) huffed and turned away. "You never changed, that's all." He turned to the waiter. "One bacon special, please. Actually, make that too."

"Yes!" (Name) pumped her fist in the air like a child, and the waiter gave her a weird look before bowing respectfully and leaving. "And for dessert, can I get the chocolate cake? Please?"

"Sure, it's your money anyway/" (Name) gasped.

"Wait, what? Hey, I thought you were treating me!" Gary shrugged.

"I have no idea what you mean. I mean, this isn't a date or anything, right?" (Name)'s face immediately turned into one of blatant shock.

"Huh — "

"Oh Arceus, you should've seen the look on your face!" Gary doubled over, laughing. "Don't worry about it. I would've paid whether you thought of this as a date or not. Feel free to think of it as a meeting, hangout, whatever you want."

"I... I'd like to think of it as a date," (Name) stated, unsure, not amused by Gary's teasing.

"No need to be so formal!" The male laughed again. "Insult me like you always do." (Name) glared at him.

"Fine, I will!"

"Go on, sweetheart." Completely ignoring his term of endearment, she huffed.

"Lookie here, you Porcupine," she practically growled. "I don't know where the hell you got the idea that you can make fun of me like that, but you sure as hell better erase it! Wipe that Arceus-damned smirk from your face!"

"Make me," he dared, his smirk growing.

"Oh, would you just shut that mouth of yours for once!" (Name) cried out in frustration. "You're so irritating! But like..." Her angry expression slowly began to fade. "You're always kind in your own way, and you've been so selfless and generous to me, and have treated me so well, even though it seems like I've forgotten you..." Gary's smirk dropped and was replaced by a genuine smile.

"Hey, stop with that cheesy stuff. I don't know how to respond to that," he responded honestly. (Name) rolled her eyes.

"Hn, you're one to talk. I don't know what to say when you're all like "Oh my Arceus (Name), I love youuuu"!"

"I don't do that!" Gary became defensive. Now it was her turn to smirk smugly.

"You sure do."

"Two bacon specials," the waiter said nervously, observing the energy radiating from the two.

"Yes, thank you," Gary told him, not ceasing his staring contest with the (e/c)-eyed female.

"You're a dork."

"No, you are."

"You know what, I know how to settle this?"

"How exactly?"

"A Pokemon battle." At (Name)'s words, Gary's jade eyes glinted.

"Sure thing."

"But wait, bacon first." The male agreed quickly.

"Oh hey, I think we should place a bet on this." (Name) looked up curiously.

"What do you mean by that?"

"Loser has to do what the winner says." The female snorted.

"Got it. Good luck dusting my apartment for me." Gary laughed.

"Like I'm gonna lose."

"I'm going to make you eat your words." Determined, (Name) stuck another piece of bacon in her mouth to prove her point.