Chapter One

First, they will hunt you down, scanning your profile through the many databases of social media. It won't take long, roughly only a minute, before they pinpoint your exact location. They will then determine your level of danger, landing it anywhere on a scale of one to ten. They will know everything about you within an hour. By the time you start fleeing, they will already be coming for you, tracing your every move. You think you're faster? You aren't. They hunt down those that are said to be evil. Those that have done bad things. They're clever and quick with their attacks. They're moves are heavily calculated and precise. You think you're smarter? You aren't.

They left decades ago without a trace... wiped clean off the map. Some rumors claim they've been hiding, while others say they were killed off by an unknown force. No one knows what happened to them, thus they will forever be a legend.

The breathing in the room stilled and an eery silence swept in through the dusty cellar window. The young girl gripped tightly onto my thigh, pressing her body as close to mine as she could get it. I let my hand fall on the soft curls of her hair to comfort her, knowing that neither of us could speak without him hearing us. I gripped the girl's shoulder, keeping her up against me as I slowly moved backwards. This was a game and we were being hunted.

"I can hear your breathing. I know you're scared... terrified even. You brought this on yourself cutting the lights. It's much scarier to be running from someone in the dark," the young girl's fingers gripped tighter onto my leg, becoming almost too painful to bear. I could calm my breathing easily, but the young girl couldn't. We either had to fight or flight.

The man's footsteps were heavy on the cement flooring and I could tell where he was moving. I dragged the girl with me until my back hit the railing of the staircase. There was no way we would be able to safely escape the cellar with the man still conscious. The cellar was so dark that I couldn't see the girl's face, but I felt her eyes looking up at me, waiting for me to make the final decisions. Slowly, I grabbed one of her hands and pried it from my thigh. She was hesitant when I placed her hand on one of the wooden poles of the railing, but didn't pull away. I grabbed her other hand and placed it overtop of her hand on the railing. I knew she wouldn't move once she felt my presence leaving, I didn't know if it was because she was terrified or if she believed in me.

    "I'm not a fan of hide and seek, you two," the man's boots sloshed through a puddle as he made himself to the far wall. I carefully made my way to the other side of the cellar, far away from the little girl, whose breathing had become almost silent.

    "But I am," I grabbed the base of a metal rod that had bumped against my foot and banged it up against the cement walls. The small window stood between me and the man and I waited patiently for his silhouette to appear.

    "Feeling brave or lucky?" the man chuckled and I could hear his footsteps getting closer to the light emitting from the small, dusty window.

    "I don't believe in luck,"

    "You should start believing then. You're a silly girl if you think you can outrun me and a stupid one if you think you can fight me," the man's silhouette slowly came into view, my target being illuminated by soft lighting that barely could reach the floor. I gripped the bar tighter in my grasp and aimed my swing.

    "Not stupid. Try smart,"

    I swung at the man's head as hard as I could and the metal bar connected with a loud clang. The man in front of me stood still for a second as if time was trying to catch up, before slowly falling to his knees. I swung again, worried that my first swing wasn't enough to take him down. The man fell like a ragdoll, his body connecting with the cold floor of the cellar. I let the metal bar clatter to the floor, before quickly making my way back to where I left the young girl. The five guards upstairs could have heard the sound and the cellar door could swing open at any second.

    The girl's hand found mine before I realized I had reached her. It was ice cold as it firmly held my much warmer hand. I hoped she trusted me as I reached down to lift her up, her body much smaller than mine. Although she weighed almost nothing, I adjusted my stance and moved around the end of the railing until my foot hit the first step. The girl leaned her head against the curve of my shoulder and I could hear her sharp breathing as I made my way up the steps as quickly as I could go.

    "Did you kill him?" she whispered into my ear, her words soft and delicate almost on the verge of tears.

    "No,"