Chapter Three

"This girl isn't human and she isn't a Hybrid," the healer, Laura, concluded.

"Shifter?"

"Nope, not a shifter, a vampire, a fae, or a were,"

"Any abilities?"

"None that we have found,"

"Then how is she not human?"

"That girl is certainly not human,"

"Do you have any scientific proof?"

"She has no visible reading,"

"Is there any other ways that we can use to determine what she is?"

"Nothing that isn't painful in some way,"

"Great. What's the painful option?"

"No, Miles," Seth leaned up against the door frame.

"I'm exercising all our options,"

"You're exercising my self-control,"

"We can put her through the Stage and see how she reacts. It's only painful depending on how much she can take before revealing her power,"

"That's not necessary. Thank you, Laura," I interjected before Miles could jump at the idea.

"What do you mean that's not necessary. It's perfect,"

"It's not perfect. She is far too young to be put through this, Miles. Until we find out more information about her, we do not perform any experiments on her,"

"Why do you want to test her so bad?" Seth questioned before biting into a chocolate bar he must've just pulled out of his pocket.

"I think I may know what she is, and if I'm right... Klaus made a huge mistake losing her. He probably figured she was human, because he either couldn't see her reading or she was able to disguise herself as human in front of him. Either way, if he finds out what she is, then he is going to do anything to get her back," I think I may have figured out what she was too, she was like me. Miles is right, Klaus did make a huge mistake.

"What is she then?" Seth's interest suddenly sparked.

"I think she's a Chosen," Miles eyes quickly flickered to mine, before returning to Seth's stare. "It means that she can take the powers of anything. She can be anything she wants. Obviously, she's too young to understand let alone harness her abilities unless she's put in danger, which her instincts would take over and she'd easily be able to defend herself. She is extremely dangerous to Klaus,"

"Woah. Now that's awesome. How do you know this?" Seth shoved the wrapper to his candy bar into his jean pocket.

    "I'm the ultimate nerd, it's my job to retain and learn information. It's like you guys don't even know me,"

    "Sadly, Miles... I do know you," Seth laughed and patted Miles on the shoulder.

    "Hey, that's not very nice," Miles feigned being offended, but we knew that he took it as the joke it was.

    Miles and I watched as Seth left the room, the door shutting tightly behind him. I turned to watch the girl through the glass window of the observatory. She looked comfortable as she laid under the covers of the twin bed. The lights were dimmed so that it was a level barely above dark.

    "I wish we knew her name,"

    "We will once we start research,"

    "By we, you mean just you right? I don't plan on doing anything but sleeping for the next sixteen hours," I grinned, knowing full well that sleeping was a joke. Miles smirked, but it seemed like he had something else pressing at his mind.

    "What's on your mind, Miles?"

    "I'm just thinking. It's been a long day, and I have a ton of research to do on this poor girl,"

    "I know that isn't it. You feed on research, it's certainly not something you're dreading. Is there something you want to ask me?" a heavy silence fell amongst the air around us, and Miles fell quiet. "Miles, you know can ask me anything, right?"

    "Why didn't you tell me that Klaus is your brother," Miles spoke barely above a whisper as if someone could hear our conversation.

    "What?"

    "Klaus, he's your brother," Miles' pleading eyes searched mine as if he would rather look for an answer than hear one. 

"He isn't,"

"Skye," Miles raised an eyebrow in defense. 

"How do you know?"

"I think the real question is how I wouldn't know. Skylar, I have access to probably the best databases in the world. Research is literally my job. I have the abilities to pull information on things straight from people's minds as if it were a book. If I wanted to and trust me I do it all the time, I can get information on something only one person, that is now dead and carried this information to the grave, had known. You have told us nothing about your past and I have itches that need to be scratched,"

"How much do you know?"

"Enough to know that you aren't a Hybrid like your brother,"

"Do you know who my parents are?"

"Yes, and I also know that you don't know who they are," it was true, I had no idea who my real parents were. "Look, Skye. I'm sorry for snooping, and didn't mean to invade your privacy. Well... yes I did, but not with bad intentions. I'm not going to tell anyone, but I want to know why you didn't tell me,"

"You already know,"

"Yes, but I want to hear it from you. Sometimes my theories need to be confirmed,"

"They aren't theories,"

"Why aren't you visibly mad at me?"

"I'm not telling anyone that Klaus is my brother, because Klaus is a horrible and evil man, and I don't want people to think I am like him. I am mad at you too,"

"Do you want to know something else?"

"I don't want to know who my parents are, Miles,"

"I wasn't planning on telling you unless you asked. The reason why I know about the Chosens is I knew you weren't just a Hybrid. When you first joined and actually saved the compound, there was something about you that puzzled me, and that almost never happens. However, when you told us that you were a Hybrid, I knew for a fact that it was a lie. When Seth told me that he couldn't read you, the idea of you being a Hybrid puzzled me more. It got to the point where I couldn't stand it and started research. It didn't take me long to diagnose you either,"

"Diagnose me?"

"Bad wording?"

"Yes, this isn't a disease,"

"No, it certainly isn't. It's probably the best thing that's happened to us. Killing Klaus would be so easy for you if he wasn't your brother," Miles was practically jumping for joy.

"Klaus being my brother isn't stopping me from killing him. He's one of the five elements, Miles. Klaus is an Elemental,"