CHAPTER FOURTEEN - The Beginnings of Rivalry

"Xianna, you need to stand up when you are reading to the class."

It was almost lunchtime and everyone was getting restless. No one wanted to pay attention to Mrs. Gibney or the book they were reading as a class. Timber was even ready to put Charlotte's Web down and go outside. It was the first day of sunshine Fort Bragg had in nearly a week and a half. Even after the storm, the clouds stayed for several days with only a few glimpses of the sun. No one wanted to be indoors now. They all wanted to be on the playground enjoying the warm, early spring sun.

"I can't," said Xianna.

"And why not?"

"I'm not the real Slim Shady."

"May I have your attention, please?" called Ashley.

"Will the real Slim Shady please stand up?" chanted Kendra.

The class rang out in wild laughter. Mrs. Gibney, however, did not find it amusing. She threatened to keep the class inside for lunch and everyone settled down immediately. They knew Mrs. Gibney didn't bluff because she had kept them in before. The next ten minutes of reading went by without a problem. Almost everyone got up to read a small amount until finally, it was time for lunch. Timber went arm in arm with Xianna, while Gina, Kendra, and Ashley followed arm in arm behind. They were all discussing Charlotte's Web and what they thought was going to happen next the whole way down the hallway.

The cafeteria was already crowded with other fourth graders and it was loud. Timber had grown to like it, though she hated it at first. It took about three weeks to train her ears to focus mostly on her friends while still listening for trouble. The girls stood in the long line impatiently. It was spaghetti day. It was the only day no one brought food from home and the only food that always had enough for seconds.

"I am so hungry I might die," said Kendra, holding her stomach and moaning dramatically.

"I doubt your that hungry," said Gina, rolling her eyes.

"Leave it to Kendra to make things dramatic," said Ashley. "You're not dying."

"Yeah, if you were, you'd be on the floor," said Xianna.

"You guys," moaned Kendra.

The smile twitching at the corners of her lips was a dead giveaway that she was exaggerating everything and was having fun doing it. Timber and the others laughed.

Less than five minutes later, all five girls were carrying their trays with spaghetti, garlic bread, salad, and milk back to their designated table. They found an opening big enough for the five of them near the aisle. Conversation was almost nonexistent for the next ten minutes because they were so busy eating. Timber always set her meatballs aside for last because they were her favorite. Gina, who decided two weeks ago she was a vegetarian, gave her meatballs to Timber. In exchange, Timber gave Gina her salad.

Then, from three tables down, Timber's ears were alerted to trouble. She looked up to see one of her classmates choking and no one was getting help. She jumped up and rushed over. Thankfully, Grace had taught her the Heimlich several days prior after Emily choked on a grape.

Timber got him to stand up and positioned herself behind him. She leaned him forward and hit his back with the heel of her hand. When that didn't help, she put her arms around his waist. She made a fist and placed it just above the navel with her thumb side in. Timber grabbed her fist with her other hand and pushed it inward and upward at the same time. Timber kept going, fully aware that she was being watched by the entire room. After five thrusts, the crouton came out of his throat.

The cafeteria burst into cheers and applause. Timber turned beet red from the attention and sunk down. Her friends saw her discomfort and pushed their way to Timber. They grabbed her and shielded her as they helped her back to the table. It took ten minutes to get everyone calm again. Timber's friends let her be, telling her that she was amazing and leaving it at that.