Cochlear Implant Argumentative Essay

Cochlear implants are an essential topic to discuss due to its controversy within the deaf and medical communities. The medical community's view is that cochlear implants are an effective treatment for deafness. However, the deaf community views deafness as a quality given to them; it is not a disability to them; but a part of them. Although cochlear implants may provide restoration of hearing, its risks, restrictions, and cultural factors outweigh the benefits.

   According to the National Institute on Deafness and Other Communication Disorders, a cochlear implant is "...a small, complex electronic device that can help to provide a sense of sound to a person who is profoundly deaf or severely hard-of-hearing" (2016). Many individuals within the hearing community cannot seem comprehend why a deaf individual would not want to obtain a medical intervention that would provide them with the ability to hear. It is a common misconception that cochlear implants will provide complete hearing restoration when in fact, there is no guarantee that any will occur. Furthermore, there are cases in which the cochlear implant has to be removed due to implant failure. "In one study of 500 implant recipients at one implant center between 1989 and 2006, 51 out of the 500 (10.2 %) had to have revision surgery" (Berke, 2016). This study demonstrates the risk that an individual takes when obtaining an implant. The fact that 51 out of 500 had to obtain revision surgery is boggling and unacceptable.

   One of the most vital factors discussed against cochlear implants by the deaf community is the culture surrounding the deaf community and their opposition towards this practice due to the fact that they feel that deafness is not a disability, but a gift given to them by God. The pressure put upon the deaf community to obtain this device in order to fit in with society's standards so that they are viewed as "normal" is appalling. Audiologists biggest client for Cochlear Implants are hearing parents with children who are deaf or hard of hearing. "Most importantly, more than 90 per cent of children diagnosed with a hearing loss are born to parents who can hear" (Mauldin, 2012, p. 2).This means that the parents of these children most likely have little to no comprehension of the culture they are tearing their child away from and leaving them in limbo somewhere between the hearing and deaf community when deciding to give their child cochlear implants. "People in the deaf community are legitimately happy and even proud of their identity; deafness is an essential characteristic of this identity. Most, therefore, believe that the efforts made by the medical world to fight what is thought of as a disorder are pointless" (de Halleux & Poncelet, 2001). These children may never have the opportunity to experience the astounding culture they were born into and so viciously torn away from by ignorant parents.

   Another substantial component in the argument against cochlear implants is the numerous risks associated with implants. Several medical complications that may be caused by cochlear implants include "injury to the facial nerve, meningitis, attacks of dizziness or vertigo, tinnitus, and numbness" (Benefits and Risks of Cochlear Implants, 2014). Another medical concern is that individuals who obtain cochlear implants may lose any residual hearing they may have previously possessed. The chances of these complications occurring are greatly increased when patients obtain cochlear implants. In addition to these complications, individuals with cochlear implants are unable to obtain medical interventions such as "MRIs, electrical surgery, neurostimulation, and electroconvulsive therapy" (Benefits and Risks of Cochlear Implants, 2014). These interventions that have the ability to help save an individual's life will be forfeited in order to obtain a device that does not guarantee any results and is dicey at best.

   Other concerns that are considered when contemplating obtaining a cochlear implant are the restrictions that associated with this device. Several restrictions include "setting off theft detection systems, setting off metal detectors or other security systems, being affected by cell phone users or other radio transmitters, having to be turned off during take offs and landings in aircraft, and interact in unpredictable ways with other computer systems"(Benefits and Risks of Cochlear Implants, 2014). These limitations will result in individuals with cochlear implants not being able to live their life to a full extent without worries of what will affect the implants and what will not. Individuals with cochlear implants will also have to rely on their batteries in order to hear. These batteries have no way to inform you that they about to die. Therefore, the individuals using cochlear implants may be left with a hearing device that they can no longer use until they are able to obtain either replacement batteries or recharge current batteries making them utterly useless.

   An essential concern that is often discussed when making an argument against cochlear implants is the cost and the training involved with obtaining implants. "The cost for CI surgery (which includes the device) can range from $75,000 to $125,000" (Frequently Asked Questions, n.d.). That $75,000-$125,000 does not include any additional batteries or any repairs that may be required to continue use of the cochlear implants. The amount of training and adjustments that are also required in order to perfect the cochlear implants takes years. "In many cases, additional counseling, education, training in perceptual skills, and training in the dynamics of communication facilitate the individual's independent management of their hearing impairment to improve communication skills" (Wayner & Abrahamson, 2002). This proves that cochlear implants are not just a "quick fix" to what they view as an issue and that those contemplating obtaining implants should consider the commitment they will have to possess in order for the device to work as efficiently as possible.

   The last key component in the argument against cochlear implants is the bullying so often associated with the implants. "While there are no specific data on the number of children with disabilities who are targeted, research suggests that children with observable disabilities (such as hearing aids and cochlear implants) may be twice as likely to be bullied"(Krywko, n.d.). A friend of mine who has cochlear implants was bullied all through middle school based on something that was not even his decision to obtain. He was born into a hearing family who knew little to nothing about the deaf culture and decided that it would be the best decision for him to obtain cochlear implants when he was young so that he would be able to lead a life that they viewed as "normal". He was separated from a culture he never had the opportunity to understand or be a part of due to his own parents' decision that will affect him for the rest of his life. He was constantly ridiculed and called a robot; all the while dealing with trying to improve his communication skills through speech therapy and along with numerous restrictions interrupting his life including his batteries dying and him having to read lips until he could obtain his replacement batteries.

    Although cochlear implants may provide the individual with hearing restoration, these results are unpredictable and there is no guarantee of any hearing improvements occurring. "As with any medical procedure, the results of implantation cannot be predicted prior to surgery and recipients may experience a wide range of outcomes"(Cochlear Implant Frequently Asked Questions, n.d.). Even if hearing restoration does occur, the hearing that the cochlear implants provide is extremely different from what a hearing person may hear. Another argument that supports cochlear implants is the safety that it may evoke. "Feel safer in the world as they can hear alarms, people calling out and approaching vehicles"(Cochlear Implant Benefits & Working, 2016). However, the individuals who obtain cochlear implants are not safe as they are unable to receive several medical interventions that were previously available to them. These medical interventions include "MRIs, electrical surgery, neurostimulation, and electroconvulsive therapy" (Benefits and Risks of Cochlear Implants, 2014). Individuals with cochlear implants may be able to communicate with those who have normal hearing, however, the deaf community may shun them for obtaining a cochlear implants because it goes against their views.

    Despite the fact that, cochlear implants may be able to provide restoration of hearing, several factors including risks, restrictions, and cultural factors outweigh any benefits the implants may provide. Those who obtain cochlear implants may have to deal with medical complications, lifestyle changes, debt from training and surgery, as well as bullying. Deafness should not be viewed as a disease, but rather valued as an important part of these individuals.