A Gryffindor and a Mistletoe

Genre: Humour/Romance

Pairing: HG/DM

Warnings: None

Written for the Quills & Parchments "Under the Mistletoe 2016" One-shot competition.

Prompt: It's Draco Malfoy's last day at the Ministry, and it just so happens to be the day of the office Christmas party. Hermione Granger has one last chance to tell him how she feels

Winner of 'Best Christmas Party'

Beta: dragonsandotters – Thank you! You amazing human being :)

A Gryffindor and a Mistletoe

Delicate fingers firmly held the stem of a glass filled with rich, ruby-coloured elf wine. Hermione gave the liquid a swirl and watched as the thickness coated the sides of the globe; its descent was slow... a good wine she surmised with an arch of her brow. As she took a tentative whiff a lazy voice drawled next to her.

"It's the best, Granger... compliments of Malfoy wine estates in France –" Hermione almost spilled the precious contents as she jumped in shock at the familiar voice.

Upon seeing the exact person she was nervous to see, she took a moment to regain her equilibrium before scoffing at him and taking a deep, fortifying gulp from her glass before responding. "Come off it Malfoy – you only gave the wine because you're conceited and like the attention."

Draco Malfoy smirked down at her as he took a sip from his own glass — which Hermione noticed was almost empty. After swallowing, the tall, blonde man levelled her once more with his smouldering grey eyes that made her think naughty thoughts. Her shoulders tensed in readiness for whatever taunt he would bait her with, it had become their "thing" in the years of working together at the Ministry. It was also the only real dialogue they ever shared: taunt and react.

"My, my, Granger – I didn't realise that you took such careful notice of my motives or even of myself... but you are right of course. Can't spend my last day here and not remind everyone that I never actually needed to work here." That smirk was back on his face again as he studied her face, which was now flushed under his attention.

Hermione responded with a frustrated "Ooph!" then ground her heel before she could kick him in the shin. "You are so annoying Malfoy! This is the office Christmas party! Not a 'remember Malfoy' party! Will you ever get off from your self-erected pedestal?"

Draco laughed at her wholeheartedly; she felt the flush deepening on her cheeks. Then the pale man took the last sip from his glass before chucking her chin as if she was a little girl. "You'll miss me the most Granger." Then, horror of horrors, he pecked her forehead and strolled off into the throngs of Ministry staff partygoers.

Hermione stood frozen as she watched his retreating back disappear, what in Merlin's beard had just happened? She realised that her mouth was hanging open like a gaping fish when a finger pushed it closed. Rounding on whomever, she saw a grinning Ginny and Harry, who looked a little green, standing next to her.

"Please tell me my eyes were lying... Malfoy did not just kiss you, Hermione?"

Hermione only nodded mutely at Harry, still suffering from delayed shock at the whole exchange, which had only served to dump her already turmoil feelings into further confusion. The thing was, she had realised somewhere in the last three years of working with the said wizard – and getting the opportunity to know the post-war Draco Malfoy – that she was completely and hopelessly in love with the ferret. And thus far completely believed it to be one-sided.