SEVEN

I skipped dinner again. The fear of Batilda killing me right then and there kept me from even thinking about leaving the library. But every time I tried to pick up the book I was reading and actually read it, I couldn't stop worrying about what Batilda would do when I went back to the room later.

Yet even after the moon stood high in the sky and every noise in the palace had basically ceased, I couldn't bring myself to actually leave my place of solace. I was a coward. Batilda had been a woman I had known for a very long time, but I had no idea what she would do. You'd think after spending as long as I have with the witch that I'd know her like the back of my hand. I didn't have a clue as to what awaited me.

I checked the clock around two thirty AM. My eyelids were dropping, and I could no longer wait her out. She had to be asleep by now, though, right?

So I creeped through the halls back to the room. Twisting the handle painfully slow, I peeked in. The room was dark, and she appeared to be still on the bed. A silent sigh of relief left me, and I stepped in and shut the door behind me.

But as I tiptoed to my spot on the floor, getting ready to go to bed and hope Batilda forgets everything, I realized I was very wrong about her being asleep.

"I debated killing you on the spot." My breath hitched, and I froze.

Batilda ignored my reaction. "You were, of course, trying to get the boys to help you escape. But dearie, you will be dead in five days. I would be wasting energy doing anything now. Goodnight, Florence." She hissed my name with such hatred, such malice, that I shivered. I heard her breathing finally even out, and she fell asleep.

* * *

Nothing happened for the next four days.

I know. You'd think my last few days would be some sort of exciting, right? But everyone and everything was strangely... boring, and dull. They passed by quickly.

It was odd having the uneventful days, and I avoided everyone, especially Dante and Batilda, and I found new hiding spots. The boys realized I was not going to leave the library, so they tried to spend time in there with me, but the next day I hid in the music room. Eventually, they understood I was avoiding other people, so they only came to bring me food. I was touched at the gesture, but I couldn't even look at food. I was overcome with fear and nervousness about the ball.

But now, I couldn't hide. People were all over the castle. Maids were bustling about, dusting and redusting every corner. The cooks were preparing every food imaginable for the ball tomorrow. There were even a few relatives that were showing up still.

At least they had the party to focus on, and not me. I didn't have any problems avoiding the boys or any other member of the family.

Well, except for right now.

You see, I had stupidly thought it was okay to leave the music room and go back to the library. I just needed another book to read. As I was walking there, my mind was completely occupied with trying not to run into anyone, that I didn't even realize I had literally run into someone until I ran into a hard chest and fell onto my butt on the floor.

I shook my head, getting out of my trance. I dared to peek up, to find the Alpha King looking just as surprised as I was.

He raised an eyebrow at me on the ground, but I could see amusement in his eyes. He held out his hand, and I took it, accepting his help up. I wasn't going to disrespect him and not take his help.