FORTY-TWO

Dinner had been a long affair. Long, meaning I had drawn it out and taken as much time as humanly possible to find what I wanted to eat, which really wasn't anything, because I did not feel like eating when my emotions were so out of control. Not that I really felt like eating ever, but I definitely didn't want to after the day's events. Dante refused to let me get a salad, because that was "cheating".

When the food actually arrived, a wonderful hour and fifteen minutes after we had left my family home, the portion they gave me was unreal.

"There's no way you can make me eat all this." I had tried.

Dante's eyes shimmered at the challenge. "Try me."

I furrowed my brows. "You cannot actually expect me to find a way to suddenly eat like a wolf."

He leaned back in his chair, unaffected. "We can always go back to your house. I'm sure—"

"Fine! I'll eat." I grumbled, and then took a bite of my pasta as I glared at him. It was good, but there was so much.

I didn't end up being able to finish it, but I ate everything I could, and I took as much time as possible. I think Dante understood that I could not eat any more food, because he let it be.

We talked, too, but he kept everything light. It was obvious he was trying to keep this a break from my family as much as possible, and I was grateful for that.

All too soon, however, I found myself in the car again, driving far too quickly to the place I did not want to be in. Yes, there was still love for my family, and maybe I'd decide to come back in the distant future. But I did not want to go back. I was horribly, painfully uncomfortable and out of place.

"I don't think we should go back." I finally whispered.

Dante turned his head for a second to observe me. "You'll disappoint Venice."

My head shook. "She'll get over it."

"You'll disappoint your other five siblings." He shook his head. "Your family is insanely huge."

I ignored his second comment. "They'll be fine."

"Your parents won't be."

"Let's just go to Georgia already."

"Georgia is, for the time being, fine. My Betas are taking care of everything. I'm on holiday."

We passed by the same fast food place we had driven past on the way to dinner. There was still a ways to go before we were back with my family, but time was running out. "Georgia would be warm, though. Don't you want a warm holiday?"

"I'm perfectly alright being here."

I sighed, giving it one last shot. "Can we at least wait a little longer?"

His focus left the road for a second to give me a raised brow. "How do you suppose we do that?"

"Anything. I don't care."

"You could just go back home and explain your exhaustion so you can sleep. Quick escape."

That was true. It also didn't hurt that I actually was exhausted, and the idea of sleeping soon was very relieving. But it also brought me back to the house far quicker than I'd like. And where would I sleep? Did they expect me to sleep in my old bedroom? Where would Dante sleep?

But my energy was drained, and sleep sounded perfect. "Okay," I finally relented, leaning my elbow up on the window and supporting my head. The sky had darkened, leaving us only on the dimly lit, empty roads. "When do you think we'll be in Georgia?" A yawn slipped out after.