FIFTY-FOUR

Dante looked tense. I could only see his back as he spoke to Andrew and Justin, but his mood was clear as he stood with his arms cross and an unmoving stance.

"There he is, ugly as ever," Shane commented, just as a group of men walked around the side of the huge house and towards the arena set up.

About ten enormous men arrived, all dressed in black ensembles. No man stood out enough to be distinguished from the group.

But the enormous men were just a huge wall of black clothes. The three men in front of them were the important ones, and it was clear they agreed, walking over to Dante with arrogance on their faces and in their stances.

My eyes couldn't stray from the tallest one, with another man just shorter than him to his right. Goddess. He was huge. But he wasn't wide, or like, built, like Dante. He may have had Dante's height, and maybe even an inch more, but he had none of the muscles. Just tall with minimal muscles needed to look like an Alpha. It gave kind of an unnerving skeleton appearance to him.

But honestly, his body wasn't nearly as haunting as his face. Long nose, stern mouth, and what looked like permanently angry eyebrows and forehead lines. And those eyes. He had horrifying, chilling eyes. Bright yellow, and while yellow was usually a really nice, happy color, Magnus's eyes were anything but. Slits for pupils, and inhuman irises, glowing with his wolf inside. Horrible.

I shivered, wanting to look away from him. A man that wanted my entire family dead and drove them to another continent.

His age was clear on him, too. Paling skin and wrinkling features, with salt and pepper hair.

How was he so strong? Why hadn't another Alpha taken him out yet? He was old. At least, for an Alpha he was old. Usually they were younger, built like an athlete, and in peak health. Magnus was none of those things.

"He's charming, isn't he? Makes me really consider my sexuality." Shane asked, looking over at me with a smirk.

I sent her a glare, not appreciating her humor.

She laughed. "Oh, alright. Super serious time."

Shane would be the death of me. She'd beat out Batilda and Magnus. "Why are you making jokes right now?"

"Because Magnus is just here to get his old man attention and leave. Besides, Dante locked me up here with you instead of down there with the action, so this is all a big joke."

Shaking my head, I looked back out of the window.

Magnus had a broad, curling grin on his face as he and his pack members approached Dante and his wolves, the groups nearing with what seemed to be a crackling atmosphere surrounding them.

Dante's arms remained tightly crossed over his chest, muscles bulging with tenseness.

Magnus dipped into a mock bow, complete with a rolling motion of his hand and a very clear 'Your Highness' coming from his lips.

"Can you hear them? From here?" I asked Shane, my words slightly rushed and my eyes never straying from the interaction occurring below.

"Yeah. You can't?"

"Uh, still having a little fuzzy hearing from the plane." Perhaps the quickest and most sensible lie thus far in my life. "Could you tell me what they say?"

Shane shrugged. "I guess."

Dante remained still, but I saw his jaw move.

"Dante said, 'Magnus.'" She did her best to imitate his deep, husky voice, with a tinge of fake Dante anger in her tone. To her credit, it wasn't too far off.