chapter one

safe

i. the unexpected

Emilee drove 16 hours to meet Hayley in New Orleans when she sent her a text saying she found something about their parents

Emilee drove 16 hours to meet Hayley in New Orleans when she sent her a text saying she found something about their parents. After her night with Klaus about her birthmark and its origin, she knew this had to be accurate. Hayley was very vague about where to meet her, a place in the French Quarter called Rousseau's, and look for a woman named Jane-Anne Devereaux.

Arriving mid-afternoon, the whole place was partially empty with a few day drinkers. Emilee walked into the bar and sat alone with a woman with long brown hair, cleaning the table behind the counter.

      "Hi, I'm looking, Jane-Anne Devereaux," the woman stopped and looked at the Gilbert girl with a courteous smile,

     "I'm Jane-Anne; how can I help you? Emilee smiled back at her, hoping she might be friendly, "Hi Jane-Anne, I'm looking for my sister. She looks just like me; her name is Hayley." She asked her, and Jane-Anne smiled, "Ah, yes, Hayley, one of the best customers, one second."

As Jane-Anne goes to the back behind the bar to grab a map, she pulls out her phone and sends a text to her sister Sophie, 'She's here' quickly putting her phone back in her pocket, she turns around to the werewolf sitting waiting for her.

    "I sent her to Roux-Ga-Roux in the bayou." Jane-Anne said, circling the place on the map and handing it to her, "that's where you'll find your sister." Emilee smiled gratefully at the bartender before taking the map, leaving Rousseau's, and hitting the road for Roux-Ga-Roux.

After Emilee left, Jane-Anne took off to meet her sister, Sophie, in the town cemetery. "Don't do it. Please. What if I'm wrong about her?" The younger sister Sophie pleaded as they entered the cemetery with tombs and above-ground mausoleums; Sophie knew how dangerous it was to do spells, knowing the vampires would catch and kill them, but Jane-Anne had nothing to lose, but Sophie did. "That's the beauty of you— you're never wrong. Thanks to you and Sabine. She's the only way we're going to get to Klaus." Jane-Anne told her.

    "Can we get someone else to the spell?" Sophie tries to convince her sister.

    "Who? Half the witches don't believe you, and the other half are too scared." she scoffs,

    "Because they know we're gonna get caught, Jane-Anne."

Jane-Anne turns and looks at her sister before sighing; this was the only chance they had for their coven for her family.

   "We don't have any other options, Sophie." They join hands.

Sophie, with tears in her eyes, knowing this was the last time that she was going to see her Jane-Anne, wipes a tear that slipped on her face.

   "Now go. You know what to do." Sophie nods at her before leaving.

Going on routes with no landmark sign in sight, Emilee got lost parking on the side of the road to take another look at the map. She thought she was following it precisely, taking a closer look; the map magically lit on fire.

   "What the hell?!" Emilee gasped as she threw the map outside her car.

Being in the supernatural world where her best friend was a witch, she knows the warning signs. She quickly put her car in reverse, trying to get out; when her car started to sputter and smoke under the hood, the Gilbert girl yelled in frustration,

   "You've got to be kidding me!!"

Turning off the engine and getting out of the car Emilee pulls out her phone to find a signal and calls a tow truck, "Hi, I looking for a Tow Service.." When high-pitched feedback comes on the line and pierces her ears, she throws the phone on the ground covering her ear. The sound disoriented her as she stomped on her phone, smashing it, silencing the sound.

Shadowy figures came from the trees into her view as they surrounded her; she was being ambushed, and she was ready to put up a fight, but as they got closer, she started to feel dizzy. As Emilee's vision began to blur, she felt off-balanced and lightheaded; she fell to the ground. Sophie half-catches her as the others draw near her.

They finally had their final piece to call up the Hybrid.

Emilee wakes up in a crypt, her head slightly throbbing. She looks around, unfamiliar with her surroundings. She hears, walking to see Sophie, a woman she had never met, coming into the crypt.

    "Who are you? why am I here?" Emilee asked her, confused.

     "My name is Sophie Devereaux, and you're here because you're the key to bringing Klaus to New Orleans." She answered.

Emilee looked at her, "What does Klaus have to do with me? How am I the key to bringing him here?" She hasn't spoken to Klaus since they slept together about a few weeks ago. They chose not to talk about it and went their separate ways.

   "Because you're pregnant with his children," Sophie told her.

   "I'm not pregnant; I can't be; Klaus is a vampire. They can't procreate," she argued.

   "But it's not impossible. Klaus is a hybrid. The hybrid, you know him and his story, so you put two-and-two together." The witch crossed her arms.

Emilee slumped, leaning on the wall in disbelief, averting her gaze to Sophie with annoyance, "knowing you got this all from my sister since I'm guessing the text came from you, where is she?" Sophie was looking at the werewolf.

   "She's here; since she resembled you, we just used her as bait and poisoned her with wolfs-bane."

Emilee crossed her arms, "And why should I believe you that I am pregnant? You could be lying."

The witch shrugs her shoulders, "but I'm not. I have a gift that lets me know when a girl is pregnant. Have you been feeling sick recently? Puking, dizziness, feeling more tired than usual? When was the last time you received a visit from your monthly friend?" She questioned.

Emilee's last period was a month before she slept with Klaus. She stares off, talking to herself, "I'm pregnant."