~Side Chapter: James POV~

This chapter is from James's point of view. In case you forgot who James is, he is Kenneth's youngest brother.

Enjoy~ ^^
----------------------

Numbly, I took a seat at the end of the classroom. There was a lot of kids, laughing and joking and being completely and annoyingly naïve about everything, I hate them, I hate them, I hate them! They don't understand anything. I despise them all.
It wasn't fair. Nothing is ever fair. It wasn't fair for Kenneth and Reno to go to war. Why couldn't Reno be one year younger? Why couldn't Kenneth not be seventeen? It wasn't fair for them because they died at such a young age but most of all
It wasn't fair for me.
Why was I the only one in this dumb class who lost his brothers? None of them will ever understand.

They try to talk to me but I don't want to talk to them. They're annoying. They think the biggest problem is whether or not they'll be accepted in the football team, whether or not they'll get a high mark in maths, whether or not it will rain tomorrow. How pathetic. How childish. How completely and absolutely dumb.

I would've normally played with them, joked with them, befriended them. But that was the old me. The one who had Kenneth to wake him up every morning and Reno to play football with him after school. The lucky lucky bastard who never once thought that this could happen to him.

Remembering Kenneth and Reno bought tears to my eyes and I tried to blink them away but they wouldn't go. How unfair! Was I going to start crying again? It's been months! I can't cry everytime I remember their faces. Yet...what can I do? I miss them so much, it hurt. It hurt me every single time. It tightened my heart and stopped my breath. They're not alive anymore. They will never be alive again. They're dead. I can never see them infront of me anymore. I can never hear their voice again. I can never hold them or hug them or play with them ever again. They're dead. They're actually actually dead.

Dead.

I rested my head on the table when I realized I won't be able to stop the tears then rubbed my eyes with the sleeves of the jacket I was wearing. The jacket belonged to Kenneth. It was too big on me, it's sleeves too long, it's hem nearly reaching my knee. But I don't care what people would think when they see me wearing it. It smelt like Kenneth, he use to wear it a lot and I would never ever take it off until the smell disappears because it's the only thing that can remind me of him right now.

Mrs Harley entered the classroom and asked everyone to return to their seats and quite down. She looked much older than before. Her hair was tied up in a messy bun and she had bags under her eyes. I looked around me at the class and now that everyone was in place, I noticed the one empty desk. Where's Jasper? I didn't think he would miss a day of school, he enjoyed it. So what happened to him? Is he ill? Did he move away? Did he-

I'm not even going to think about it. Jasper was a citizen. Of course he was safe. He wasn't fourteen, of course he was safe. He must be.

"I want you all to listen closely." Mrs Harley started speaking again, looking grim. She was Jasper's mum. Obviously she knew where he was, I can ask her after class. "This is, as you all know, the first day of school after the war. A lot of students and teachers and staff suffered through a lot so I want all of us to be considerate to one another. I want us to try and understand those who are distant from us and to care for one another. Your fellow friends could've seen things that were horrible and you all have to be true friends and stay by their side."

"Mrs Harley." Tina raised her hand up. She was a rich family's daughter, she probably wasn't aware of anything during the war "Where's Jasper? I thought the school rules stated that if you're not there on the first day, your name is removed from the registration list."
Mrs Harley's eyes widen and she quickly sat down on a chair. She looked up and opened her mouth but nothing came out. I know that face. I know it so well. I understand her and I don't want her to say it out loud. I don't want to hear it out loud. Hitting my head hard on the table, I covered both my ears and shut my eyes in denial. Him also?! Why did the universe hate me?! I can't take it anymore! It's wasn't fair. It wasn't fair. It wasn't fair!