Chapter 5: Goodbye, Friend I Did Not Know

The door opened and on the other side the first thing we saw was the hallway in which we came in from; the left side has a picture of Ranger Carmello, who was said to be one of the first leaders ever. On the right was a mighty Knight slaying some evil beast-though age has blurred out the photo slightly, a yellow tinge consuming parts of the picture. The ground in front of us shined as if newly polished- that is till I stepped on it barefoot, now it had a little bit of blood and dirt on it. A trail left by everyone that followed us, the shine disappearing and be replaced by the grime.

5:03 PM-

I get hit by sunlight for the first time in an entire day... never knew it was so blinding. Maybe this is why Grandpa always said that I should go out in the sun to help him. It hurts worse than stubbing your toe if you don't go outside or at least get hit by the light from the sun. maybe like a little dagger slightly tapping away at the eye but I don't know what that feels like and I hope I never do.

I left Grandpa's head inside of the smelly, old cell. Roman told me that there are two things I should remember; one is to always remember the past but not cling to it or allow yourself to become attached. I say I will kill the Prince for revenge, later. The second thing he said is grudges aren't good to have, and it's better to bury the hatchet. He says that they can eat out one's soul and consume them for their entire life. I say I will bury the hatchet, in the prince's stupid head. At that Roman says that there is apparently one more thing, and that is that Grandpa's head will be safer inside of the cage, as it smells bad enough that no one will really go near it, so nothing will happen to it. I agree. At least I know grandpa can rest easy there.

5:10 PM-

Two times counting fifty steps we reach the next door. This one Roman has to look over for a moment before taking out something to toy with the door. The door is made of a thick steel with a little handle type thing connecting it to the wall, and a keyhole in the middle. Twenty minutes pass before Roman says "Ah-ha!". Not really sure why he said "Ah-ha!" But I can tell you what happened next taught me a really hard-earned life lesson.

"Give it here. Girls are smarter and better at this kind of thing." Mira says

"Don't break it." Said Roman

"I won't."

Thirty seconds passed

"Chk!" The door opens

"Told you girls are smarter." She smirked at him, he merely rolled his eyes as we quickly rushed through the large doors and onto the other side. I wasn't sure if that was true but I didn't question it.

5:22 PM - I learned girls are smarter. Also when Romans head goes red, he looks like a ripe tomato. I don't like tomatoes. But I like seeing Roman look like one, personally, I think it's funny.

We pass through the door and in front of us is a large hall full of people staring at us. I don't know if they heard Roman saying lots of "Child-forbidden words" or what... but I heard an older lady say "Oh, dear..."

Straight in front of us was the stage with a podium, a giant cross which Sam was on/tied to... I could have made a better knot. And a dagger, like the one we use to cut flower heads off with.

To the side, 3 soldiers were coming at us. Roman immediately grabbed the dagger and the bishop by the collar saying "Nothing ever goes by the plan... Time to improvise!"

The soldiers stop, maybe ten paces away. The people behind us rush out and start wreaking havoc (literally, all they did was break stuff). This was enough to make the people in the church leave. The only ones left were us, the soldiers, and the bishop (plus a nun who was watching with fists raised from behind a door. We could see her, though.)

5:28 PM-

I learned that nuns sometimes enjoy watching fights. As odd as this was.

-------------

I hear Mira from behind me rush over to where Sam's body is as he is still strung up to the cross... but as she takes him down, she just slowly shakes her head back and forth, tears prickle her eyes but she quickly flushes them away... we were too late to help him; to save him. No real loss though I suppose, his eye was cool and all but he had no personality. He was kinda mean, to be honest, but I can see the disturbance in everyone's eyes

"Goodbye, Friend I Did Not Know," I say to him. And with that, we turn to leave.