Dancing the Night Away Part 4

"And we're down to the last two couples," the DJ announced. The crowd surrounding the dance floor applauded.

"You can do it, Brewer!"

"Hang in there, Keeley!"

"Beat 'em, JT!"

Keeley was too exhausted to even acknowledge them. The last three hours had been brutal. She'd wanted to throw in the towel so many times, but every time she was about to tell Talon she would catch a glimpse of his face, and change her mind. He was so determined. She couldn't be the one to dash his hopes...even if that hope was to win a dance competition.

Keeley glanced at the clock. Two minutes left. There was no way Zach or Talon were going to stop. But if no one stopped dancing then who was the winner? She hadn't thought about that contingency when planning the fundraiser. Honestly, she didn't think anyone would make it this far.

Worried, she locked eyes with Nicky who was biting her nails. Keeley gave a helpless gesture then motioned to the DJ. For a few moments, Nicky stood there, her forehead crinkling, then she tapped her temple, and rushed to the DJ booth. She whispered something in his ear and he nodded.

Speaking into the microphone, the DJ said, "I've been informed that in the case of a tie, both couples will be announced as the winners."

A chorus of boos from the Edgewood and Crosswell football players went up.

"We need a winner!" someone shouted.

"Yeah! Someone needs to win!"

More angry shouts joined in and soon the whole crowd was jeering, "Winner. Winner. WINNER."

"Can't you calm them down?" Keeley whispered to Talon. Over his shoulder, she watched Nicky and the Java Hut owners huddle in a circle.

Talon, who was staring at Zach, said, "Why? They're right. There can't be two winners."

She let out a long groan. "Talon, I'm tired. I want to sit down and not get up for a week."

"You can." Pause. "As soon as we win."

"Talon."

"We have to win the trophy," he insisted. He threw up a middle finger when Zach looked over at them. Zach responded back in kind and the Edgewood football team laughed.

Nostrils flaring, Keeley muttered, "It's just a stupid trophy."

She might as well have said Peeps shouldn't exist by his loud gasp of horror. "How can you even say that?" Talon replied. "It's a point of honor. We spent hours dancing. We earned that trophy. It's ours."

Keeley knew she wasn't going to get through to him, so instead she turned to Zach and his partner. Zach was whispering in her ear while she shook her head. Frowning, Zach spoke more urgently, his eyes darkening when she scowled.

"Uh-oh," Talon whispered with delight. "Looks like his girl can't hack it. This win is ours." He hugged her tight, his shirt slick with sweat. His cologne was long gone and instead of woods and spice, he smelled sweet and salty. Probably because he had a pack of Peeps in his pocket. He'd been snacking on them all day.

"I wouldn't count Zach out just yet," Keeley murmured. She never put anything past her twin, and a few moments later, he proved her right.

Zach put the girl's hand on his chest and said something with a roguish smile. Whatever it was worked because the girl smiled back and kept on dancing.

Talon cursed. "Damn that Brewer charm."

"Hey!"

"I don't mean you. Although, sometimes I wish you weren't quite so charming." He kissed her forehead. "You get your way, way too often."

"I do not," Keeley protested.

"Just last week you talked me into seeing that new John Green movie instead of the assassin movie that had ninjas and sword fights."

"You liked the John Green movie!"

Talon quickly covered her mouth. "Shhhh! You can't say stuff like that. I have a rep to protect."

When he took his hand away, she said, "You have Peeps sticking out of your pocket. I think your rep is already damaged."

The DJ cleared his throat. "Alright, folks. We're coming to the twenty-four hour mark." Nicky was standing next to the DJ with a secret smile on her face. Keeley didn't trust that smile one bit. "In order to determine the winner, we're going to have a bonus round."

Bonus round? That didn't sound good. What exactly did a bonus round entail? And why did Nicky look so excited?

The DJ continued, "I have two words for you ladies and gents—Dance Off. Get ready to judge some awesome dance moves because the winner will be based on your collective scores."

As a loud cheer went up, all Keeley could think was Oh crap.