Woods

Silence echoes louder that any noise ever could. In the darkness of night the ringing in your ears seems to engulf the world. The dull weight of the air is heavier. Reaching blindly in front of you, barely making out the outline of a tree in front of you. You're feet ache as more leaves crunch underneath them. How long have you been walking?

The multiplying eyes around you force you to loose track of the hours gone by deep into the night. The yellow glow unblinking as you pass. By now you can't tell if it is just the wind or if something is breathing down your neck. The hot breath contrasting to the ice in your veins. The chilling warmth crawls down you spine and blindly, you run for your life. Knowing if you could just make it till dawn the creatures would retreat to the shadows of the trees, their horrible promises confined to the darkness. But your limbs ach. The hours you don't remember passing catch up with you.

Silent hands claw at you as twigs tear at your bare feet but you don't stop out of fear that the long cold fingers will grab you if you're still too long.

The only sound is your rapid breath in the dark, crisp air. Yet thousands of beast are roaring at you. The darkness doesn't let up as your body begins to break. Trees fly by- each one replaced by another. To you thousands of monsters surround you, but to the trees you're all alone.

The forest is a dangerous place after all, but maybe your imagination is the most deadly thing there.