Suspicions

Everyone has instincts. That sinking feeling you get when you walk past a dark stair case. The need to run when a bee comes close. That second thought about walking across a dark ally.

Perhaps that last one shouldn't be ignored.

Every 92 seconds someone is sexually assaulted and 800,000 kidnaps are reported a year. Most of which happen within 15 minutes of these victim's homes. Who could be behind that corner? Or in your unlocked car? Even waiting in your front yard bushes.

Have you ever been grabbed before? Felt that feeling of struggle and could recall the exact moment you realized you wouldn't win. Not even in an actual fight! Wrestling with an older sibling, or being tickled by a parent- and you couldn't get away. Your heart drops and your eyes go wide. You have to give up. No matter how hard you fight or yell you know deep down you can't win. And after that split moment you remember it's just a game with family!

But there is no fun in being attacked. There is no realization that it's all just rough housing. There is only realizing you're life is probably over. Your innocence will probably be taken. Your trust will be broken with your spirit, and your loved ones won't know where you went. That feeling of fighting and loosing is truly the feeling of fighting to live and accepting to die. You can either break free or break down.

So here you are with both arms full with a new text notification while the hunter behind the corner begins to close in. They see your distracted eyes and your busy hands and they know that with one swift hit or with a one firm hold you are fresh meat for whatever they have planned.

They could grab you from behind, cover your moth so you can't scream. Or tackle you from the side and hope the impact is such a shock they can pick you up and throw you in a car. Some would just give you a quick shove into your house where they can do what they please to you in the comfort of your own home.

Perhaps that text wasn't so important.

But attacks can happen anywhere don't be mistaken. That person across from you on the bus that has been staring at you this whole ride probably has some plans in mind. Or that Uber driver that doesn't quite have 5 stars. Even the man who's been behind you on your walk for the past 5 minutes. It could be 12:00am or 12:00pm as long as you're alone, you're fair game.

Sometimes just a few hits is all they want. One good stomp to the face and a few heavy blows and they've gotten the release they needed and you've got a hospital bill and therapy sessions to book. Trust your suspicions. You never know if the nice women you live next to shows who she truly is. Or if the male man who offers to bring your letters strait to the door really has good intentions.

That initial red flag that goes up when our primitive nature pokes out and recognizes a threat is one of the many blessings the Stone Age gave us. When you've made eye contact for the 3rd time and they still haven't said hello and every fiber in you says to run or to say something but the social pressure to stay silent cost you your life.

These post that plaster Facebook and Instagram that yell out in bold letters "DONT BE SEXIST" the ones that tell you not to assume every man wants something from you when they holler. Or "WHY CANT PEOPLE BE NICER" why ignore the lady whose been try to get your attention the whole way home? Or even "POLICE WONT HELP YOU" don't waste time calling for help when they won't come. I guarantee none of these post creators have been attacked before. None of them have seen that hunger in a monsters eyes. None of them have called for help and found nothing. None of them have payed in a dark ally alone and scared, wishing that beast had finished the job.

Once you walk away from those who judge the hunter is the one who decide your fate?

Stay safe. Stay suspicious.