OMG moments

The clinic is silent. As I wait for the doctor to finish with Binsha, I flip through a few magazines about childbirth. The graphic images show huge babies tearing out of their mothers. I put the magazine down, shocked. At least with the epidural I'm definitely going to ask for that won't happen. Or at least, I won't feel it. The doctor finally calls my name, and I jump up to the room, getting strange looks from the swollen ladies in the chairs. "You are...Binsha? Fifteen?" She asks. "No that's my sister. She has Dr Mackle. I'm Huria." I clear my throat. "I'm actually 12." The doctor looked a little shocked. "You're quite the young one, aren't you? Pop you shirt up and lie down, poppet. I'm going to rub some cold stuff on your tummy to see the baby, OK?" I lie down while she rubs a kind of gel on my swollen stomach. A little screen lights up near the bed. "See, that's your..." The doctor pauses. A little heart beat rings through the room. "Um, just hang on a sec Huria I'm gonna call someone more senior now. My heart thumps as another woman walks in the room. She smiles at me while the doctor whispers something in her ear. "Well, let's see what we have here, shall we?" She slides something across my stomach and looks at an even bigger screen. I crane my neck to look. The first doctor turns to me, looking slightly pitying. "Darling take your undies off and lift up your legs for me" she says. I do as she says and before I know it she's stuck her up there, fiddling. "She'll make it if there aren't complications" she says to the older doctor. "Make what?" I ask anxiously. The senior doctor turns to me. " You don't have one baby, honey, you have ...don't say twins, don't say twins...quadruplets."