The Poisoned Chalice

Nimueh dropped a flower petal into the water, she watched Merlin in the water. With a slight scowl she pulled out the petal and placed it into a silver goblet.

"Merlin." She hissed at the image.

"Well mate, someone doesn't like you." Gwaine muttered glaring at Nimueh.

Merlin smirked "Thought you loved her Gwaine?"

Gwaine rolled his eyes "I'm a loyal lad, being a psychopath trying to murder my best friend is kind of a turn off." he gave Merlin a small grin "What can I say?"

The scene changed to the throne room, everyone was gathered inside Camelot knights and courtiers and Mercia's courtiers and knights alike.

Uther bowed his head respectfully before going back to his full height "Camelot welcomes you, Lord Bayard of Mercia. The treaty we sign today marks and end to war and a beginning to a new friendship between our people."

Uther and Bayard grasped arms. both parties applauded the scene whilst Nimueh stared at Merlin. Merlin however was oblivious and kept his attention on Arthur.

"Yeah." Arthur muttered "We're the oblivious ones, at least we didn't have some all powerful sorceress glaring at us and trying to kill us and not noticing."

"Well.." Merlin grinned "Morgana was glaring at you for months, Nimueh also and there was Sophia..." Merlin counted them on his fingers with a teasing smirk.

Arthur grumbled and glared at Merlin before throwing a goblet towards his head.

"Oi!" Merlin yelled as he ducked out of the way, "Rude."

The scene changes to one of the Castle's corridors, Merlin passes Gaius whilst carrying a heavy bag, he was clearly struggling.

"Why do I always get landed with the donkey work?" Merlin muttered with a pout.

Gaius sighed fondly "You're a servant, Merlin. It's what you do."

"My arms will be a foot longer by the time I get this lot inside." Merlin complained.

"It's character building. As the old proverb says, hard work breeds...a harder soul." Gaius told him unconvincingly.

"C'mon Gaius...there's no way that's an actual proverb." Elyan called out.

Gaius shook his head and gave them all 'the eye-brow' "And how would you know that Elyan? Are you a philosopher? A poet perhaps?" he questioned dryly.

Elyan shook his head and stammered slightly "N-no." Which caused the other knights to snigger at the fact Elyan seemed to be afraid of Gaius.

"Well then."

"There is no way that's a proverb. You just made that up." Merlin whined.

"No. I didn't."

Nimueh watched the two from around a corner before stepping out and faking a fall into Merlin, hastily she started to pick up what she had dropped looking flustered and embarrassed "S-Sorry, sorry."

"It's alright." Merlin flashed her his signature grin.

"Excuse me." She mumbled apologetically.

Merlin crouched down to her level and gave her a soft smile "Let me give you a hand with that." He helped her gather her things and they both stood up. Both looking equally embarrassed.