Chapter 5 - Missing Pieces

The sun beamed through the clouds momentarily, streaming into Abi's ward. Even through the glass she could feel the warmth on her hands as she wrung them nervously. Peering out over the cityscape she noticed how the partial sun illuminated some areas while other parts remained in shade. Lightness and darkness, the nature of the Old Cities revealed in ever-changing patches, moving and morphing endlessly. Shadows chasing light, light chasing shadow. It gave her a chill.

Today she was being released from hospital and she was more than eager to get home to her flat.  She gathered a few personal items and sat on the bed waiting.  Sean entered the room with a wheelchair and a friendly smile.

"Your chariot awaits." He said. She rolled her eyes.

Sean and Abi had seen each other every day since her hospitalization, it was day 8. In those few days they had become close friends.  Sean would come in early, go home late and visit throughout the day. They talked a lot, all topics. They had a natural openess with each other. She took the opportunity to retell the story of her attack, she had to stop several times to regain her composure, but carried on bravely until the end.  Sean admired her for her strength and spirit and the courage it must take to relive the experience. The retelling helped her process the trauma, according to her counsellor, who she would continue to meet with regularly for the next few weeks.

He wheeled the chair over to her, "Hospital policy, you have to be wheeled out.  I called a taxi."   Abi took a seat and put her feet up.  "You got everything you came with?"   Sean asked.

"Pretty sure, except my clothes." Her blood-spattered clothes had to be cut from her body and disposed of.  She was wearing an outfit Sean bought for her at an nearby trendy outlet. It was not exactly her style, but she appreciated the gesture.

"Well, let's get going then."  Sean wheeled her out to the elevators. It seemed to take forever to get to the ground floor, with so many people getting on and off at every other floor. Being on nineteen north, Abi did not realize how busy this hospital was. They stopped at a small office to process her discharge, a few minutes later she was released. An AutoTaxi was waiting at the curb, Sean walked her to the car and opened the door and helped her in, he then went around the other side and got in, she gave him a strange look.

"What? There's no way I'm sending you back to your flat by yourself"  She did not expect an escort, but she was greatly relieved, the prospect of going home alone was suddenly frightening.

"You don't have to, you've done so much already."

"I want to."  Sean admitted. 

Abi moved over a bit and placed her head on his shoulder.  "Thank-you."  She whispered.

It was a long ride back to her place, a lot of time to talk. Abi shared more about her deceased brother and Sean reluctantly talked briefly about his childhood. Abi was fascinated, she couldn't imagine growing up without parents or siblings. For a while they road in complete silence, each lost in their own thoughts. The Sun rode low in the sky this time of year, but its rays were still warm through the car windows, it felt good on Abi's face. She fell asleep leaning against Sean and had a dream about him which was a welcome change from the nightmares that terrorized her sleep more recently. He nudged her awake when the taxi pulled up to her flat, her dream slipped away as they often do.

"You're home Abi."  Sean said softly.  "I'll walk you to the door."

"Oh, alright." She answered, still partly asleep. Things were a bit foggy in her head, she thought it might be the pain medication, but she expected to get much better rest now that she was home. However, instead of feeling relieved to be home, she found that she was anxious. An amoprhous fear gripped her. The sense of safety she was hoping to have was not there and she felt threatened, the thought of spending the night alone was terrifying for her. Abi wished she could asked Sean to stay, but did not know how to ask it. She did not want to appear frightened, she did not want to appear weak. but she was terrified.