Chapter 18 - Plan B

The oligarchs' boardroom in the Centreon was an opulent affair, even by their standards. A large granite-topped table stood atop the Kimberlite floor on massive, hand-carved mahogany legs. Twelve ivory-trimmed leather chairs sat along the long sides of the table leaving one end empty.

The walls were adorned with rare curiosities - artifacts of the Second Age, with the exception of one item. A first series prototype Gatsu that hung behind the head of the table. It was a symbol of ultimate power and the pinnacle of technological achievement. A reminder to all around the table of the terrible power that could be wielded by a single man - even if that person was merely a monster in disguise.

Thin windows ran from floor to ceiling down one wall, a dozen of them evenly spaced. Beams of light from the late afternoon Sun cut across the table at oblique angles.

In each chair sat an Oligarch, a necessary gathering of Meta's power elite, due to recent events. Every solemn face oriented in the same direction. At the head of the table in a distinctly different chair sat a smiling Niles Galvin. He rolled an imaginary ball between his thumb and forefinger.

"For those of you who may, for some reason, have been out of touch recently, we have suffered a slight setback. An incident at the Cortex has resulted in the loss of Wagner and subsequently most if not all of the remaining Second Age data. A significant loss, I know, but it also rids us of Wagner and that I could not be more pleased about.

Several research divisions will have to be reassigned projects. And as Henrik has parted ways, there is now an opening in that division as well. Put the word out."

A bearded man at the far corner stood and asked. "Does the loss of the Cortex have a significant impact on all our R&D efforts."

"Randolph, I think were are at a crossroads. Wagner shaped our technological evolution, he controlled the pace and direction. It is time for us to take control of our own future. Second Age technology was a useful pursuit, for a time, but I must admit, my new goals are somewhat more lofty.

Effective immediately, financing for the Orbital Platform research division is doubled. There will be openings for 150 additional personnel. The Second Age division will be reduced to essential staff only, whatever is deemed necessary to maintain projects currently active. No new projects."

The entire cabal exchanged looks. Another stood, a statuesque women with flowing auburn hair and an abrupt chin.

"What about these terrorists? What about the Paladin program?"

"Additional fail-safes are being added to the Paladin program as we speak. For the time being, Paladins are off active duty. As for the group we captured. So far the Senstech scans have turned up DNA from the Paladin Captain and the one prisoner, Trey Parker. We suspect both were killed in the blast. We have no evidence of the others one way or the other, but it is believed they are also deceased and pose no further threat to us. An explosion of that magnitude could obliterate all traces of DNA."

"And what of the fifth member of the group? And Erik?"

"Erik cannot hide for long. Any move he makes across the networks in the Core will be detected and traced. That in turn will lead us back to this bio-born menace and he will be dealt with accordingly."

With that Niles stood. "I will ensure you are all sent full documentation on the current state of affairs with regard to the items discussed today. I would like to adjourn the meeting at this time and schedule another in two weeks. After you have had a chance to review the material in its entirety we can have a more in-depth discussion about any concerns you might have." He interlaced his fingers and looked across the room.