Whatever It Is | Seven

Two weeks later and we still kept our relationship on the down low. Neither of us knew what it was, but we were enjoying it. Emily, Jen, Mike, and Scott were the only ones who knew and they were so excited for us. Marcus and I decided we'd match all of them up soon, which was hopefully soon. They were constantly flirting with one another. They needed to just kiss already.

In school, we acted like our normal selves. Rumors circulated that we were dating, but no one asked us. Maybe because they already knew? Though we were ourselves, there was that "glow" around us that came with being "together." I never expected to fall for Marcus like I had, but I did and I was excited for once in my life.

We continued to avoid the topic of our families. We both knew we needed to have that conversation, but we also both knew that it'd be really difficult when the time came, so we just strayed from it. Sure we learned about our dad's on the blind date, but our moms weren't spoken of.

"Hey, Danes," Marcus said as him and his friends came up to me, Emily, and Jen.

"Hey, Falls," I gave a subtle wink and closed my locker. "Mike, Scott."

They waved and we all greeted each other.

Emily, Jen, Mike, and Scott all walked away—hopefully to admit all their feelings—leaving Marcus and I alone.

"You have no idea," Marcus whispered as he got closer to me and lightly grabbed my face with one hand. "how much I wanna kiss you right now."

"Well then what are you waiting for?" I smirked.

"You'd be okay with everyone knowing?" He asked surprised.

"You wouldn't?" I tilted my head.

"I would, trust me, I would, but you're more private than I am. Just took me by surprise, is all," he said.

I blushed and kissed him. I could hear people's footsteps stopping to take in the scene, but that didn't stop us. Yes, PDA, was against the rules here, but neither of us cared—nor did the rest of the school. Just the feel of his warm lips on mine made me feel safe and confident.

When we pulled apart, we saw the people that were still standing there and I shrugged. "Did you make sure to take a picture or something?"

They silently left, except one guy. "So you two a thing now?"

"Well, we kiss, go on dates," Marcus wrapped his arm around me. "We don't see other people, so I mean, that's basically the definition of 'a thing,' right?"

"Hm. Well this isn't something you see every day. I thought you would've went with Crystal or Kylie," he told Marcus.

"Nope," he said. "Erin Danes."

He walked away and I smiled at him. "I can't believe it. You actually spoke to a stranger about us. It was nice."

"Well, you have this thing about you that makes me want to tell everyone."

"Well, I'm glad I have... whatever it is, because you have it, too."

"I do?"

"Yep, and I'm really glad it was you on my blind date," I took his hands in mine.

"Me too," he pecked my lips as the bell rang.

*

Throughout the day, Marcus and I became more comfortable being whatever we were around the school. He hadn't officially asked me to be his girlfriend, so I wasn't sure what to make of our "relationship." I knew we had a long way to go, but we were already doing pretty well.

After school, I went to Emily and Jen's. Marcus had something come up at home and wasn't quite ready to tell me what was going on, which I obviously completely understood. I didn't exactly know when I'd be ready to tell him about my home life, but again, we had time.

"So tell me about y'all's romances," I said, not wanting the conversation on me, and genuinely interested in if they'd finally made things official with Mike and Scott.

"Well, Mike and I are talking, but I don't know. How is it that guys can be exactly the same but all very confusing at the same time?" Emily laughed.

"Beats me. What do you two talk about?" I asked.

"They tiptoe around the fact they like each other," Jen chuckled.

"We do not!" Emily playfully slapped Jen's arm.

"Well, what do you and Scott talk about?" I challenged.

"Books, movies, music, after school plans," she listed. "Anything, honestly."

Her cheeks started heating up, like she was visualizing their conversations in her mind and we playfully teased her about it.

It was like for the first time, I felt like a normal teenage girl who didn't have an abusive, alcoholic, drug abusing mother and no father. I was the normal teenage girl who was in...whatever we were, with Marcus, and gossiping with my friends about their love lives. It was a nice feeling to have and I'd had it for snip it's at a time, but lately things were seemingly falling into place.

Like we were all just putting the puzzle together and knew exactly where the middle pieces went easily.

And that was what terrified me the most.