My Abusive Mother | Eight

Hey, y'all! Thanks so much for enjoying the book so far! I've gotten some comments lately about there needing to be action/drama, so here's a taste! Hope you enjoy it! Thanks AllyPierce0 FriendlyDragon478 and other's whose usernames I can't remember how they go for encouraging me! Alright, on with the chapter!

*

At the end of the day, I went home and set my stuff in my room. When I went to get a water bottle, my mom was in the kitchen, as if she were waiting for me. Her arms were crossed and her face was cold. She was usually this way, but the look in her eyes scared me. And that wasn't usually the case with this situation. Sure, I'd leave to avoid her, but this look she had...

I felt the urge to run.

"We need to talk, Erin."

Her voice was icier than usual and she used my name. My heart threatened to leap out of my chest. The fact that her eyes were ice blue didn't help matters.

"About what?" I asked calmly.

"You not doing what you're supposed to be doing. You're supposed to clean the house, make dinner, all that. I pay the bills. Plus you're gone all the time on that bike of yours. Time to step up around here," she said.

"I already do"

She slapped me across the face. "Don't smart mouth to me, young lady!"

"I wasn't!"

She punched me in the face, causing me to fall on my butt. She looked down on me and kicked me backwards. I went to stand and she grabbed my arms and threw me across the room. My head hit the wall pretty hard and I kept blinking and feeling my own hands to make sure I wouldn't get knocked out.

The scariest part of all this was that she was sober.

I knew she was sober, since she was actually beating me, but that was what scared me. How could a mother soberly beat her child? It made "more sense" for the parent to be at least be under the influence of some kind, so they'd "blame it on that," but she had no excuse. She was soberly, consciously, willingly beating me.

At this point, she was telling me what a horrible person I was, and just steadily kicking and hitting me. When I stopped fighting back, she did a few more hits and walked off, leaving me there. I stayed there for a couple of minutes before getting up slowly and carefully walking back to my room.

I went in and locked the door. I made my way to the mirror and stripped to see how bad the damage was. You could see where my bruises were going to be and I had to change quickly so I wouldn't cry. If I cried, she'd hear me and come back. It was like she had that superpower of knowing when I cried.

The last time I cried because of the abuse was when I was fifteen.

Never again.

Over the course of my life, I learned how to stuff my feelings down. Keeping busy was my go to. Helping other people was my favorite, because I felt helpless all the time and I didn't want anyone to feel that way. Emily and Jen were the best friends a girl could ask for and I loved spending time with them.

And then there was Marcus.

He was doing something to me. My heart got butterflies around him, my worries went away... Just the thought of him put my mind at ease. I didn't understand it, but it was what it was. He was the best guy I knew and I was afraid to let him in because of my mother.

Gosh, my mother.... It made me wonder why my "dad" would leave me with her. Did he know she was abusive like this? Why did he leave? Did she cheat on him? I never got closure on why my dad would leave and get remarried and leave me with this woman who was supposed to love me.

I shook the thoughts out, showered, and went to bed.

~

In school the next day, I acted like nothing had happened last night. The six of us were standing at Marcus's locker and Marcus had his arm around me. I'd never felt safer, if I was being honest. Yes, I felt comfortable and safe at Emily and Jen's, but there was something so... strong about Marcus's embrace that it just made me want to stay in it forever.

"So we need to plan a night where we all go to one person's house and have a game night," Emily said.

"We can use my house," Marcus offered. "My mom's in California this weekend."

We all looked at each other and everyone agreed that Friday night, after school, we would go to Marcus's for game night.

"So what games are you suggesting?" Mike asked Emily.

She suppressed a huge blush and said, "Any. Cards, truth or dare, anything."

"Ooh, Twister," Scott rubbed his hands together.

"Oh no," Jen chuckled. "I don't twist well. I'll be the spinner."

"No, guys, I've got that Heads Up game on my phone!" Mike snapped his fingers. "That'll be fun!"

"We'll be sure to play the 'Just For Kids' deck when it's your turn," Marcus teased.

We all laughed and as they continued to tease each other, I felt Marcus's lips by my ear as he whispered;

"Why so quiet?"

"Just tired," I said lowly in response.

He kissed my cheek lightly and it was my turn to suppress a blush. He gave my arm a light squeeze and my whole body was tingling.

The bell rang, signaling it was time to go to class, and Marcus held me in place which confused me. Everyone else began leaving and when I looked up at him, confused, he just laughed and kissed my lips softly, but passionately. I smiled in the kiss and kissed back. After a few seconds, I let go and whispered, "See you after class."

"Okay," he said softly and as I went to walk away, he caught my arm.

I faced him again, even more confused, but paled when I realized why he caught my arm. Our eyes matched and he asked me seriously;

"Who did this to you?"
****
So there you have it!!! Drama is honestly just starting! Haha all the ideas are just flooding to my head, but I'm open to some ideas, so leave some ideas, thoughts, predictions, etc in the comments! Love y'all so much and I plan on updating most likely tomorrow!
WritingMelody💕🙏🏻✌🏻