Pain Hurts | Nine

"Who did this to you?" Marcus asked again, not letting go.

My heart felt like it was about to bust out of my chest. I hadn't had to lie about my bruises in a long time, so I was a bit out of practice. Air lumps continued to form in my throat and little droplets of sweat began making their way to my forehead.

I kept trying to look away from him and retract my arm, but he wasn't having it. His blue eyes, filled with concern. He searched my boring brown eyes, awaiting my response. It felt like centuries passed before I finally said;

"Marcus, c-calm down," I regained breath. "I just fell and landed weird on my arm."

"Erin, don't you dare lie to me," he said, keeping eye contact.

I bit my lip, nerves swirling all throughout my body. "Just... don't freak out, okay?"

"I'm already freaking out, Erin," he said. "You're hurt and I wanna know who did it."

"We have class—"

"Screw class. You're more important."

"I really didn't want you to find out this way..." I sighed.

"Erin, tell me already," he urged.

"My mom," I looked down.

Marcus dropped my arm in shock. I was too afraid to see his face, thinking he would dump me right here and now. He was probably thinking "I need out of this" or "No way am I staying with someone who gets beat." Of course, something bad had to happen, because I felt happy for once. It wasn't fair.

"Your mom did this to you?" He whispered.

I just nodded, restraining the oncoming tears I'd been repressing for three years.

"If you don't wanna be with me anymore, I understand," I swallowed.

"What?" He asked, completely thrown off guard.

I looked up at him, but a teacher walked up to us. "Why aren't you two in class?"

"Personal matters," Marcus gave the teacher a look.

He looked between us and I guess my face said it all, because he let us be.

Once he was out of earshot, Marcus took my hand. "Why would I want out?"

"Why would you want in?" I asked, my voice slightly cracking, so I cleared my throat.

"Erin," he said my name with such tenderness, it made my heart warm. "Just because you get beat, doesn't change my feelings for you. This is not your fault. She's dealing with some mental issues and takes it out on you, because you're there. None of that is a reason to walk away from you. You need to report her, and you need to do it now, before things get worse."

"I can't," I whispered.

"I can," he said, mostly to himself.

"Marcus, please don't," I begged.

"Why?" He tilted his head.

"She puts on a good show for the cops. Neighbors have called due to a noise complaint and she's blamed it on TV. It's no use," I sighed.

He went to speak, but I placed my index finger on his lips.

"Please," I whispered. "Don't say anything else. I don't wanna talk about this anymore. All I want, is to just be here with you."

When I saw it in his eyes that I won, I took my finger back and tried to muster up a smile. He looked at me and brought me into a hug. I wrapped my arms around his waist tightly. He petted my hair and kissed my hair.

"I'll never let anyone hurt you again," he whispered in my hair, even though we were the only two in the halls.

I bit my lip to keep from crying. This was definitely not the time or place. My breaths became shorter and my muscles tensed up. Suddenly, I felt myself being scooped up bridal style, and Marcus carried me to his car.

When we were both in, he pulled me close again and laid my head in his lap, still petting my hair. "It's okay, Erin. You can let it out."

With that, three years worth of tears flooded out of me. I felt terrible for crying. He didn't deserve this. He deserved better than a whiny girl like me. He needed more self worth. Or maybe I did. I wasn't sure anymore.

*

I wasn't sure how long I cried for, but I'd cried myself to sleep and woke up in a bed. It didn't take long to realize where I was, because I'd been in this room many of times due to past parties and various game nights.

Marcus took me to his house.

I stretched in the bed and turned on my side, instinctively grabbing my phone, to see how panicked Jen and Emily were. Just as I suspected, I had tons of messages and calls from them, wondering where I was, if I was okay, etc.

When I replied and told them I was alright, I got out of bed and walked downstairs. Marcus was on the couch, watching TV. I sat next to him and laid my head on his arm.

"You could've slept beside me, you know," I said.

"I wanted you to sleep comfortably," he replied, wrapping his arm around me.

"You are comfortable," I snuggled with him.

He just chuckled. "And you're adorable."

It was a comfortable silence for a while, before Marcus broke it.

"We had a deal. We'd learn about each other's moms on the same day and—"

"If you're not ready, you don't have to. You don't owe me anything," I assured.

"It's okay, I want to," he looked down at me. I locked eyes with him, ready for whatever he was about to say.

"My mom has cancer."

Maybe not.

"Oh my gosh—"

"Don't," he shook his head. "I'm not done."

I closed my mouth, letting him continue.

"She goes to California, because my grandma knows the best doctors to take care of this. My mom is a fighter. She recently told me that she's gonna be up there for two months, because she's undergoing surgery, chemo, and radiation. She's had this for months now and I just keep praying and hoping she'll beat it."

"I'm sure she will. I've never met her, but by the way you talk about her, she seems tough."

"She is."

"Why don't we go visit her?" I suggested.

"What?" He looked at me.

"I'm sorry, you can go alone if you want, but why don't you go see her? See how she's doing, that sort of thing. When is her surgery?" I asked.

"Next Friday," he said.

"You can make a weekend out of it. I'm sure she'd love to see you," I assured with a smile.

"Only if you come with me. She'd love to meet the girl that makes me happy," he said genuinely.

That made my smile go ear to ear. "You want me to go?"

"Absolutely," he kissed me.

Well alright then, I thought to myself as I kissed back. Marcus Falls had my heart and I didn't want or need it back.