Chapter 1: Death of a beloved

There was an aura of death that had seeped into the room, suffocating the light and leaving a foreboding atmosphere. An old woman wrapped in white robes which beautifully matched her silver hair was lying in bed. It was obvious from her ragged breathing and sickly complexion that the old woman did not have much time left. Despite knowing that her death was quickly approaching, her violet eyes showed no signs of fear. The only emotions she displayed were worry, acceptance and love which radiated throughout her whole body. The target of those emotions was centered on the young man crying on her bedside. Her beloved grandson. Kieren Moonfury.

"Grandma Akiko! *sniff* Please...don't go...*hic*"

A pair of obsidian eyes tinted with violet pleading looked at the old woman through the black hair that threatened to overtake them. Tears streamed down Kieren's face as he held his grandmother's bony hands which seemed so fragile he feared he would accidently snap her hand in half if he applied too much pressure.

"Silly boy, you're already 17 years old and still acting so unreasonable. It is part of the natural order that all things die after they have lived out their lives. In fact you should be happy for me. I will enter the cycle of reincarnation and reborn anew with a young and healthy body." The old woman lightly chided.

But Kieren knew that his grandma was just saying this for his benefit. After all, nobody really knows what happens once death arrives. Pushing back the expanding weight that sickened him at the depths of his stomach, Kieren wiped his tears and forced a smile on his lips.

"Haha that's right. When grandma is reborn you'll grow up to be so beautiful you'll make all the guys turn."

"Nonsense. I don't need to be young to make men turn their heads, even at this age I can make handsome men in their prime swoon for me."

Kieren couldn't help letting out a bitter smile upon hearing his grandmother's words as they held a touch of truth. Although his grandma had the appearance of an old woman, her spirit and energy always extruded an air of a woman who was in her prime yet had the wisdom befitting her age. This made her respected among many people and even created a handful of admirers. As a result, Kieren would be forced to deal with the more persistent bunch on multiple occasions. Over time, Kieren developed a skill to persuade people to do as he desired thus allowing him and his grandmother to peacefully say farewell one last time.

"But even if you had all the handsome men in the world swoon for you, their love are nothing compared to the love your grandson has for you. After all, you were the one to raise me and teach me what love was even when I was lonely. You even taught me how to protect myself and the people that I love. I will always love you the most and I will not betray the teaching and love you gave me all these years."

Kieren would normally be too embarrassed to confess such things. But in the face of his grandmother's approaching death, he knew if he did not say them now he might not be able to in the future. He could only convey the words he wanted to say with a serious expression and did not reveal a hint of shame towards the old woman who taught him how to live and influenced the person he became and will become.

His grandma's face softened once she heard those words. She could feel the love and strength that her beloved grandson revealed. Her previous worries about Kieren's well-being once she passed away were alleviated knowing she would not drag a piece of him with her when she went.

"You are my love, my life, and the very pride I hold in these old bones and soul. Which is why when I am to be laid to rest, I do not want you to hover over my grave. You may visit it and mourn your grief if you must, but know that I will not be lying underneath. I will be in the air that caresses your face, the water that nourishes your strength, the ground that supports you and the fire that burns within your soul. So do not stand at my grave grieving because I will not be there, I will stand beside you as I watch you grow. I will not die."

She could see through the love and seriousness in his eyes that he would take her words to heart and become strong even if she could no longer be there. She let out a gentle smile towards him as she slowly closed her eyes due to the strength leaving her body. Kieren watched her face as he felt the tears he had been trying to hold back once again flooding over his eyes. But he did not wipe them away as he wanted to engrave the last moments of his grandmother. The two waited in the silence as they had already said the most important things they wanted to say. All that was left was to allow for Grandma Akiko to peacefully spend the last few breaths under that grieving yet loving gaze of her grandson.

---------------

*Bang!* *Bang!* *Bang!*

Smoke drifted out of the barrel of the handgun situated between Kieren's hands as he pressed the trigger with a calm expression. His body exuded power and focus as he concentrated on the enemies before him. Each shot was made in rapid succession as they pierced through the dead center of the head, heart and throat of the human clad in a black stealth amour. The black figure carried a small danger covered in poison, obviously hoping to kill Kieren in a quiet manner. The next assassin quickly slid away from Kieren while trying to shield the vital points of the body as the assassin did not expect Kieren to retaliate. The assassin swayed to and fro in an evasive maneuver, trying to avoid eminent destruction. But it was a wasted attempted as the sound of the firearm rang out once more.

*Bang!* *Bang!* *Bang!*

The pitiful body could only roll away due to the dying momentum as it too had been completely destroyed in the same vitals as his dead comrade was shot through. Another assassin quickly replaced the deceased. Only this time, the assassin took the initiative to attack by charging at Kieren with a knife, hoping to pressure Kieren into misfiring and allow his fellow assassins time to regroup to shoot at a distance. Unfortunately for the assassin, Kieren was unfazed by the charge and once again a dark figure fell to join the bloody bodies on the floor.

Before the dead assassin could be properly exit Kieren's field of view, the next one approached at an incredible speed behind his fellow comrade. Unlike the previous dummy which charged like a wild bull, this one was agile as it used some obstacles to cover the targets on its body as it got closer. But this did nothing to deter the shooter from make another round of shots. On the contrary, the shots came even faster than before.

*Bang!* *Bang!* *Bang!*

However the assassin was able to buy time for his comrades to encircle around Kieren. 7 more assassin surrounded Kieren from all sides with guns drawn out, preparing to fire into the center where Kieren stood. They watched him closely as he slowly put the handgun into the holster hidden underneath his jacket and reached out for the poisoned dagger the first assassin had dropped.

The assassins were on edge with cold sweat. The information provided on their assassination target did not include knowledge of marksmanship or combat of any kind. In fact the profile stated that their target was an ordinary teenager who was polished in the areas of economics and social communications to become the next head of a business corporation. They believed they could quickly and easily kill the target once they separated him from his bodyguards.

"Geez. I just came back from grandma Akiko's funeral and someone already sent out assassins to kill me now that I don't have grandma Akiko to back me. Can't you guys be a little more considerate?"

Kieren's voice was soft and full of contempt. His head tilted slightly to the floor as his hair covered his eyes. But the assassins all felt a chill run down their spines as Kieren's calm demeanor took a darker tone. The previous tense atmosphere turned into a suffocating pressure as though they had awoken a vicious tiger slumbering in a dark cave.