F I V E

Marinette stared wistfully out of the window, losing count of how many hours they've been in the car.

Apparently, her relatives' house was in the countryside. That gave Marinette some hope that they were somewhat humble people to have chosen an area to live with such amazing scenery and away from Beijing's bustling suburban life.

From the distancing mountains that were high enough to seemingly touch the foggy morning mist to the overwhelming greenery of shrubs and trees. Since the sun was slowly coming up now, the rivers and waterfalls caught the lights of the sun as well as the colours of the dawning sky; reflecting light pink, orange and violet hues on top of its calm surface. Marinette found a sense of tranquility in the moment and decided to take pictures, both for sending to her friends and to keep for herself as inspiration for later designs.

Marinette sighed and sank into the leather car seat, resting her head on her shoulder and lazily scrolled through her social media, occasionally snapchatting Alya tiredly before sighing again and turned off her phone.

This car ride was really boring.

Marinette hadn't packed her earphones because she thought that she would be too occupied with impressing her relatives to even look at her phone and was berating herself for not thinking about how long the car ride would be. The road was relatively smooth so she was incredibly lucky that her carsickness hadn't acted up and Marinette mentally thanked Tikki's Ladybug magic.

"Your family's mansion is just up ahead miss Marinette." Her bodyguard informed. She hummed in acknowledgement and sure enough, there stood a very large traditionally inspired mansion  a few kilometres away.

 She hummed in acknowledgement and sure enough, there stood a very large traditionally inspired mansion  a few kilometres away

"Oh my god." Marinette remarked breathlessly. Just how rich were her family?!

"Yes, it's quite impressive. It took approximately ten years to complete and they are still installing other areas."

"Such as?"

"Libraries, political halls for meetings, more guest rooms, dining rooms, music studios and ballrooms." Marinette was starting to get really annoyed from being so impressed to the point where her jaw visibly dropped.

"So my family has all of this money and yet I could see so many homeless and starving people out on the streets." Marinette asked with measured anger and accusation. As she half expected, Jiānhùrén did not answer her but that was sufficient enough for Marinette to conclude his answer. She let out a disgusted scoff and muttered unflattering things about her relatives under her breath.

"Mademoiselle it's unbecoming of you to mutter."

"Would you like to hear what I have to say then?" Marinette replied in a false sweet tone.

"No, in fact I would not because I have a hunch on what you are saying." Marinette opened her mouth to snap back but Jiānhùrén interrupted her. "Please refrain from muttering in front of your relatives."